Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Backing for Vintage Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/backing-vintage-quilt-t230055.html)

teddysmom 09-12-2013 09:43 AM

Backing for Vintage Quilt

I'm almost through piecing a churn dash quilt top using 1930's prints. Now I've got to decide on the backing. I'm thinking I should stay with the vintage look and use a solid backing. All the quilts I have from my GGM (made many years ago) have solid colors on the back--no tone on tone and no small prints. Any ideas?

NJ Quilter 09-12-2013 09:45 AM

I would go with a vintage look as well. Muslin? Or are you thinking something a bit more colorful? I usually try to coordinate my backings with something from the front - colorwise, at least.

irishrose 09-12-2013 09:45 AM

Grandmother would have used muslin - either unbleached or white.

teddysmom 09-12-2013 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 6289379)
I would go with a vintage look as well. Muslin? Or are you thinking something a bit more colorful? I usually try to coordinate my backings with something from the front - colorwise, at least.

I thinking about picking up a light color from the front--light green, light blue, etc. No yellow though because I seem to have a lot of yellow in the blocks.

oh munner 09-12-2013 11:04 AM

I agree...... Grandma would have used muslin.

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 6289381)
Grandmother would have used muslin - either unbleached or white.

lakekids 09-12-2013 11:54 AM

I don't know that I would agree. I have a quilt that my grandmother made with feedsacks and it does not have muslin on the back. Instead it also has a backing of feedsacks with an all over floral design on them.

dunster 09-12-2013 11:54 AM

I recently quilted a vintage quilt top, and I used bleached muslin on the back.

teddysmom 09-12-2013 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by lakekids (Post 6289662)
I don't know that I would agree. I have a quilt that my grandmother made with feedsacks and it does not have muslin on the back. Instead it also has a backing of feedsacks with an all over floral design on them.

The only ones I've seen have been my GGM and they had a solid color (blue, red, etc), backing. I've also seen some when I've been "out and about" with the muslin backing but I've never seen one with a floral backing. BUT it makes sense if feedsacks were used for both front and back.

Annaquilts 09-12-2013 11:59 AM

I think traditionally it would be muslin but I usually put something different because the muslin shows everything and tends to be weaker. So a small 1930 print for me. I would consider a solid 19 30 fabric or muslin if hand quilting or wanting the quilting to show up.

teddysmom 09-12-2013 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts (Post 6289668)
I think traditionally it would be muslin but I usually put something different because the muslin shows everything and tends to be weaker. So a small 1930 print for me. I would consider a solid 19 30 fabric or muslin if hand quilting or wanting the quilting to show up.

I'm hand quilting so that is why I was thinking about using a solid color on the back but a small 1930's print would be a good option that I hadn't really thought about.