Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Backup machine/Pfaff/Babylock (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/backup-machine-pfaff-babylock-t308035.html)

Donna Klinger 11-16-2019 01:05 AM

Backup machine/Pfaff/Babylock

Yesterday I contacted a dealer going out of business and went in to look at a refurbished Pfaff 6091 that has a built in walking foot. I was told this machine was about 20 years old. I've been told many times older machines are built better than newer ones. A somewhat long story but didn't buy it because of tension between the owner and son working there and the three price quotes I received over phone and in person. Phone price was $200 from owner, in person son said $150,00 and then owner said $225.00. I started feeling very uncomfortable and left without buying machine. I did feel it was a good machine but wondered about service later on. I then drove to the Babylock dealer that has my new Jazz II in for service to inquire on it. Parts have been ordered and I hope to have it back in a week. While there I looked at the Brother Simplicity on sale for $239 and it seemed to be a nice machine with lots of pretty built in stitches. My husband would have bought it for me for Christmas but I didn't want to wait. I ended up buying a new Babylock Zest for $99, which is a very basic machine but small and lightweight and seems to be perfect for piecing, which is what I mainly do. I wanted to sew this weekend and did some last night and I think this $99 purchase was worth it. I did buy a 1/4" foot to go with it. So now I have a simple, small backup machine to use when I need it and at a very reasonable price. I'm happy.

Moira in N.E. England 11-16-2019 01:25 AM

Have fun with your new machine!

QuiltnNan 11-16-2019 03:55 AM

congrats on the new machine

Rhonda K 11-16-2019 04:44 AM

Great job on shopping for the backup machine. Enjoy stitching!

SusieQOH 11-16-2019 05:03 AM

Donna, I've never sewn on a Pfaff but my SIL swears by them. However, she's having problems finding parts for hers so her sewing is limited right now. She's also having trouble finding someone who can work on it.

bearisgray 11-16-2019 05:23 AM

If the machine is performing well for what you want it to do - then you made a good decision.

Sometimes "simpler and reliable" really is a better choice.

Jingle 11-16-2019 03:36 PM

Never had a phaff. I sew on two straight stitch only machines and I love them.

leaha 11-16-2019 04:41 PM

learned to sew on a Pfaff, I am down to 5 right now love my machines

quiltingshorttimer 11-16-2019 06:06 PM

glad you are back to sewing! I have the Brother Simplicity for classes, when my DD comes out to sew, etc. I really like it and have found that the built-in 1/4" setting is very accurate--although I do have to remember to adjust stitch length up from the 1.5 it goes to when you switch to 1/4" setting.

sewingsuz 11-16-2019 06:09 PM

Happy for you and you will enjoy for a long time.