Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   backwards batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/backwards-batting-t204085.html)

Deborahlees 10-24-2012 07:42 AM

let me tell you my simple little story. Made a simple string lap quilt out of beige, brown, dark brown and black fabric, used a dark brown backing. As the lap quilt was on the small size, I went into my box of pieces of batting, found two that would give me the size I would need, sewed then together and sandwiched my quilt. During my FMQ 'heard' my needle at times not sounding real happy, then it would stop.....when finished, looked at the back on half of the backing I had 'pokies' and half I didn't....you guessed it, when I sewed my batting together, I sewed one piece up side down......So yes it does make a difference and I have the backing to prove it.

Jan in VA 10-24-2012 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 5608628)
Jan, ....What I had happen didn't look or act anything like bearding that us "old timers" know of and think of when that term is used. It was actually tiny little bumps of batting. .... I can tell you one thing, you would most definitely worry about it the first time it happens to you. ....I will always makes sure I load W&N bumpy side up from now on.

I definitely see your point, FelineFanatic.

I missed two points......I don't longarm, and I rarely use Warm and Natural batting. I *have* noticed it has "bumps" though. I can't remember whether anyone working on those Barracks Quilts for the battalion in Afghanistan 2 years ago had trouble with W & N as they used it, but we also used a lot of another brand that was bought at significant charitable discount and some that was donated from the same company.

Jan in VA

susansomethings 10-24-2012 11:57 AM

Well who knew..NOT me..about right & wrong side...Isn't life full of surprises! But I must say I have never had a problem, but I do not long arm.

pinecone 10-24-2012 01:35 PM

I prewash my batting, wonder if the little bumpies still show.....
I didn't realize it has a front and back, maybe lucky or maybe it hasn't shown due to the fact that the backings have been light in color so far. I use a regular home machine too.

piney

azwendyg 10-24-2012 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 5608355)
I have had this issue rear its ugly head with Warm and Natural batting while Longarm quilting. It did not affect my tension but what happened is little tiny tufts of batting were being forced through with the needle (and yes this was a brand new needle) through the backing. I later learned these were often referred to as "Pokies". I searched the internet and found a great posting on the APQS forum about it with pictures showing right side and wrong side:

http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/top...arm+%2Bnatural

I ended up cutting the batting and flipping it over and the pokie problem went away. I do not know if this is an issue with quilting on domestic sewing machines. The needles are much smaller on domestic machines so this would be why the previous posters may say they never checked and never had a problem.

Well, who knew? Thanks for the link!!! It turns out I've been purposefully using Warm and Natural UPSIDE DOWN. I did notice the difference in the two sides, and put the nice smooth side up under my pieced tops. No wonder I haven't been too fond of it (because of its tendency to leave little "pokies")! I use a domestic machine for quilting and vary the needle size to suit the thread I'm using. I guess I'll give Warm and Natural another chance...:p

5moose 10-24-2012 01:51 PM

Gosh....I've made at least 60 lap quilts and hundreds of donation quilts and have quilted all of them with warm and natural and have NEVER had anything but good looking quilts both front and back. I can't chalk that up to just luck. I don't long-arm them. Besides.....some quilts reversable to be used so that both the front and back could be used. Hmmmmmm.

Lilrain 10-24-2012 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 (Post 5608224)
I made many quilts before I even heard of the batting having a right/wrong side. I would not have known if I hadn't heard it here. Never had a problem with the quilts I made. Most were made with Warm & Natural batting. I wouldn't worry about it since you already sandwiched it.

I did not know there was a difference and have never had any problems.

Nantie 10-24-2012 02:54 PM

Is there anyway to tell right and wrong side as it comes off the bolt or out of the package...i would probably assume that the batting would come off the bolt right side up....but again that's just my assumption...any more info would be helpful.thanks

hperttula123 10-24-2012 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 5608355)
I have had this issue rear its ugly head with Warm and Natural batting while Longarm quilting. It did not affect my tension but what happened is little tiny tufts of batting were being forced through with the needle (and yes this was a brand new needle) through the backing. I later learned these were often referred to as "Pokies". I searched the internet and found a great posting on the APQS forum about it with pictures showing right side and wrong side:

http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/top...arm+%2Bnatural

I ended up cutting the batting and flipping it over and the pokie problem went away. I do not know if this is an issue with quilting on domestic sewing machines. The needles are much smaller on domestic machines so this would be why the previous posters may say they never checked and never had a problem.

The wrong side/right side up issue would not affect your tension. The only probelm with wrong side up is you can get pokies of batting show up on your back.

That is what I had happen. It doesn't mess with the tension at all but it does leave pokeys showing. I don't like the pokeys. I always check to make sure I have the right side up with warm and natural. I've never had an issue with anything quilted on a domestic machine(usually just making mug rugs or table runners).

nativetexan 10-24-2012 03:51 PM

hey i'm doing well to "see" the different sides of Insul-bright!