Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bacon binding? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bacon-binding-t269556.html)

luana 09-04-2015 07:37 AM

Bearisgray, that is exactly how I do bindings. Most of my quilts are for charity, so I stitch it to the back and bring it to the front. I use my stitch-in-the ditch foot to do the topstitching. It keep the row of stitches exactly the same distance from the edge.

Peckish 09-04-2015 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7306051)
I think the people who said to measure and take an average are referring to borders, not binding.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Quilt30 09-04-2015 08:37 AM

-What stitch length are you using to sew on the binding? If using regular stitch, then suggest lengthening it a bit - say up to 3 or 4 You have a lot of layers of fabric and binding and the stitch length needs to be longer to accommodate the extra layers.Also make sure your seam allowance is consistent so when the binding is folded over, it is full of the quilt edge.

feline fanatic 09-04-2015 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 (Post 7305816)
Measure your quilt at each end & in the middle; take the average of those 3 numbers and cut your binding to that length.

this would good advice to follow for borders but definitely not for binding. You will find yourself with only enough binding to go not quite half way around your quilt.

Bree123 09-04-2015 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7306051)
I think the people who said to measure and take an average are referring to borders, not binding. You can't really cut your binding to size before attaching it (at least I don't think you can) because you need some overlap when you join it. You can get a perimeter size and add about 10 inches to figure out how much binding to cut.

Whoops, yes I was. I don't cut my binding until the ends are matched up. Good catch. Thanks!

DresiArnaz 09-04-2015 01:52 PM

Oh, I thought it was binding made to look like strips of bacon.

That might be kind of cool for a quilt for a foodie...

Bobblehead 09-04-2015 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7306391)
Wide binding - I like the look - but that may be just because I am used to it -

What width do you cut the binding to make it this wide? And what size is are the seams? I like it!

bearisgray 09-04-2015 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bobblehead (Post 7306831)
What width do you cut the binding to make it this wide? And what size is are the seams? I like it!

I cut the binding "about 2-7/8 inches" - and the seam width is about 3/8 inch - I just set the needle to the furtherst left position and the edge of the presser foot is even with the edge of the binding and quilt.

The amount of binding showing on the front of the "jungle animals" quilt is about 1/2 inch and about 3/8 inch on the back.

My bindings are "stuffed" - I pull the binding over the edge tightly so that it feels "full."

bennie0755 09-05-2015 04:21 AM

Stay-stitching the edge of the top first helps a lot. It keeps any potential stretching of the edge to be bound to a minimum. It is especially helpful on bias edges.

quiltlin 09-05-2015 05:08 AM

I don't measure my quilts before applying bonding. I make sure I have enough though before applying it. I cut my binding about 2 1/8" and iron it on half and start sewing it down. I do the mitered corners and the binding comes out great. I've even been commented by a judge at how good my bonding is....not to blow my horn. : )