Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bad Advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bad-advice-t192564.html)

Silver Needle 06-23-2012 11:42 PM

I took a class today with Klaudeen Hansen in Oelwein IA. I can happily report she was great about different ways of doing things. I took a Vintage machine (Singer 301) no problems there. She presented the project with pressing SUGGESTIONS of some seams open some to one side. But she had no problems with the fact that I'm of the press them open persuasion. She said it wasn't necessary to press every seam as you go, but didn't pressure me because I like to press as I go. She is teaching some classes at the AQS Des Moines quilt show. If it weren't corn picking time I'd take another of her classes. I barely get time to go to the show as I drive the combine a lot of the time.

quilticing 06-24-2012 02:19 AM

Some "traditions" die hard. I think most of them are hanging around from the hand-piecing days. Seams are much stronger now, designs have changed. Do whatever gets a better product! (But please try to give your longarmer your best effort).

tdvxh 06-24-2012 02:44 AM

I had one quilt shop owner tell me don't worry about cutting the squares & half squares 5 5/8. She said use 6' thangles and it would all be fine. NOT. The squares did not fit with the 1/2 squares at all. I'ts now taking up space in my closet. Needless to say, all the squares have been cut as well as the half squares.

ptquilts 06-24-2012 03:08 AM

I used to do hand quilting for a lady who did books and a TV show about quilting - her seams were always pressed open. Her tops were the most precise I have ever seen.

I too take a deep breath when I hear people say Always and Never. I think there are just some people who like to lay down rules.

my-ty 06-24-2012 03:37 AM

So sorry that you were given advice that did not work for you. Advice is merely ideas or techniques that have worked for someone else, some advice is more universal than other advice. Yes, I am VERY opinionated BUT if I consider the source more knowledgeable than me, I am willing to try a their way. If it works for me then it was wonderful advice if it doesn't then I seek another method.

I have been very fortunate to receive advice that was extremely useful. As a beginner quilter, I have a lot to learn. When I took my beginner class, we were all novices and many had never quilted anything before. Each of us produced a quilt that were amazing - most blocks had all their points and our quilts were square. Definite proof that we had received excellent advice and had been taught great techniques. Her advice was based on her mistakes and her personal experiences. We have all signed up for her next class!

lfletcher 06-24-2012 04:26 AM

There are usually several ways to accomplish the same thing. When I take a class, I always do it the instructor's way, but I may not do it like that again. I have developed my own likes and dislikes, but I do like to learn new techniques so I usually give it a chance.

DebbieG 06-24-2012 04:48 AM

I was told at a Belle Point Quilt Guild meeting, by a man who was our speaker, and who had made 50 quilts in a year.....all from scraps he had or had been given him (he did not purchase any fabric for the quilts).....He told us, "There are no quilt police" and that we can do anything we wanted or could do while quilting!! That has been my mantra.....say it over and over, There are no quilt police.

pumpkinpatchquilter 06-24-2012 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by lfletcher (Post 5312498)
There are usually several ways to accomplish the same thing. When I take a class, I always do it the instructor's way, but I may not do it like that again. I have developed my own likes and dislikes, but I do like to learn new techniques so I usually give it a chance.

I am with you. I liked the "advice is like being passed a plate of cookies" saying also. There are many ways to do things, what matters more is what works for you and what gives you the outcome you desire. I have taught and have been taught. I just recently attended a Bonnie Hunter workshop and learned TONS, even though I've been sewing years...but there were still some things that Bonnie did that I like to do differently. I was respectful and did things as she suggested for the duration of the workshop but have gone back to my favorite technqiues at home.

I would be forgiving in some ways too though - just because a teacher flubs up or does things differently doesn't mean that all they have to offer is without value. As said before - take what works for you and let the rest past by you.

skjack 06-24-2012 05:35 AM

when I take a class I try the method that the teacher is teaching in class due to that being why I took the class was to learn. then if it works for me I use it if not I don't. I have learned some very usful tips from several teachers and when I am teaching a class I show students what works for me and then let the students do what works for them. I love taking classes and learning and I love teaching too.

ksdot417 06-24-2012 05:38 AM

My thought is - if everyone did as they were told new techniques would never surface. I'm glad people try new things and think for themselves. If I've learned one thing in quilting it is that it's not a one size fits all.