Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   bad stitches (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bad-stitches-t271262.html)

SoftBlockLady 10-19-2015 06:15 PM

bad stitches

Hi Quilters......my DSM is being nasty. The top thread is leaving random tiny loops on the back of my fabric. I tried going slow, not changing the speed, or stopping part way through. I checked that everything was threaded ok........what is happening with my little old Kenmore???????

Tothill 10-19-2015 06:21 PM

Have you checked the thread tension? I was at a quilting workshop on Friday and was having kittens. After about an hour of sewing my tension went completely out of whack. I rethreaded 6 times, before I thought to check my thread tension. Adjusted the tension and I was back in business.

It was a worry as I was an hour from home and a back up machine.

Tartan 10-19-2015 07:06 PM

I would think the thread is out of the tension disc or there is a piece of thread stuck in it. Open up the tension discs fully and floss. If that isn't it, check the thread path and make sure the thread is going through them all correctly.

ukdame 10-19-2015 07:28 PM

Old Kenmores are some of my favorite machines. Had to leave my cabinet one back in Fl when I moved sadly. When loopy stitches on underside I believe its a top thread tension problem. Try increasing tension some. Also take a pipe cleaner fuzzy strip and clean between the tension sides. I love playing w/these oldies. Also the thread on " Vintage Machines " may have great probkem solving tips.

JustAbitCrazy 10-20-2015 03:05 AM

If your top thread is making tiny loops on the underside, the top thread is too loose. Tighten the top thread tension bit by bit until there are no more loops.

skypony 10-20-2015 03:17 AM

I have to say that checking the tension on your machine is quite important. My tension on my machine went out of whack and I had to keep checking it. I have a new singer sm and I love mine. It took a little while to get used to it because the reverse button on isn't where it's supposed to be. LOL. the needle threader works a little different than the brother. Perhaps a little more use and a little oil could help it some.

Happy sewing and Happy Halloween everybody.

PaperPrincess 10-20-2015 03:56 AM

Also, have you replaced the needle?

ManiacQuilter2 10-20-2015 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by ukdame (Post 7350126)
Also the thread on " Vintage Machines " may have great probkem solving tips.

Yes, there are a lot of experts that can be found in the Vintage section. I too think it is your top tension.

Angellight 10-20-2015 05:48 AM

I have a sticky note on my machine to Check the tension. When I was trying to quilt, just the turning and twisting of the quilt would "adjust" the tension, and I would have problems like you are having.
Darn machines, when they get a mind of their own, they cause SO MUCH frustration...

Happy Day!
Susan

celwood 10-21-2015 04:05 AM

Besides thread tension make sure that your bobbin is wound correctly