Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bag bottoms (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bag-bottoms-t69476.html)

boxerlady 10-11-2010 03:43 PM

We recently put laminate flooring in several rooms of our home. My husband cuts pieces for me for my bags. It looks rather pretty, so I don't cover it. I just take the bottom out to wash bag.

loreen 10-12-2010 02:14 AM

I have access to x-ray films. I use them cut to size and put into a sleeve I make. I tryed to think outside of the box.

alleyoop1 10-12-2010 03:01 AM

I use foam board - found at Michael's - and cover it with fabric. Just remember to remove it before washing your bag.

steelecg 10-12-2010 03:28 AM

good idea'

Originally Posted by purplemem
I use the Dollar Store thick plastic placemats. The mats are 2/$1 and I can get 3 bag bottoms from one.

ewhughe1 10-12-2010 03:30 AM

I order from Joann's

ewhughe1 10-12-2010 03:34 AM

Loreen I have that pattern if I can find it. I forgot all about it. Thank you putting that picture up. . .now. . .where did it get off too.

If I would stay off my computer I would get more quilts made. . .ha ha.

lana17 10-12-2010 03:38 AM

Another option is to use those flexible kitchen cutting boards. I found them in a 3-pack at Wal-Mart. They are in the housewares section.

newestnana 10-12-2010 03:42 AM

I buy peel & stick floor tiles (12" usually) from Home Depot or Lowes. They come in different weights so you can choose what you want but they can be very cheap (maybe 70 cents each). One tile will make 3 bag bottoms if they are 4" x 12" (or less). They are easy to cut to size using one of your quilt rulers and a utility knife. Leave the paper backing on the tile.

I prefer to make a cover for the base...if you leave it "envelope-style" the cover can be removed for washing.

I like the stability of these bottoms -- the fabric canvas (which I bought from Joann's) was too floppy for me.

Moon Holiday 10-12-2010 03:45 AM

Mostly, I use the small mesh plastic sheets from JoAnn's (or wherever I find them cheap)... measure the size of the bag bottom, cut 2 from the sheet and make sleeve with fabric that matches the lining of the bag and slide them in. Then I hand stitch closed the small open end. In the past I also cut down a large rotary cutting mat, when it got warped, and used it instead of the plastic canvas... Also, once in awhile my DH will buy plexiglass (for use in very large picture frames to keep weight down) and he will take the leftover plexi and cut it down to size and sand edges for me to use in bags, too.

fatqtrjunkie 10-12-2010 04:02 AM

I stumbled upon the self stick craft foam. I use two thin sheets, trim to size and sew them onto the back side of the lining. Have not had a problem with this technique. I bought a purse with the plastic canvas, it wore holes in the corners and eventually the canvas became brittle and broke all to pices.