Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bag Makers - Please help!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bag-makers-please-help-t276066.html)

KenmoreGal2 02-24-2016 07:35 AM

Bag Makers - Please help!!

2 Attachment(s)
I made these twin quilted purses. One is for me, one for a friend. I devised the pattern to fit all my items exactly. That's probably the problem. I have no real instructions, I'm winging it. I had such a hard time finishing these - sewing the lining and handles on. I could use advice.

For both bags, I made the exterior quilted box and hemmed the top. Then I made the zipper, handles and the lining with pockets. When it came time to assemble it, I actually did it two ways.

On the blue bag I layered the outer shell, zipper, lining and handle. I pinned it all together then struggled to sew it on my flat bed cabinet machine. The bag is quite narrow plus I had to sew through the zipper hole and it was really difficult.

On the brown bag I had found a tute that showed me how to sew the zipper and lining together before doing the rest of the assembly. That was a little easier to manipulate.

Are there any special feet I should be using for the final step in these bags? Maybe I should use my free arm portable for this? Is there some simpler method that I am unaware of? I love having a bag specially designed to hold my particular items, but I hate making them. Thanks!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]543427[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]543428[/ATTACH]

Annaquilts 02-24-2016 08:02 AM

I can't help you. I can not even get a duffle finnished using directions. These purse look amazing and I wanted to tell you.

KenmoreGal2 02-24-2016 08:18 AM

Thanks! Nice of you to say that.

PaperPrincess 02-24-2016 08:50 AM

I also think the bags look great. If you have a walking foot, you can try that. Also, I have found that if you are sewing around the top of the bag and the stitching is on the outside, it's easier to turn the bag inside out. If the stitching is going to be from the inside, then sew with the bag right side out. It's much easier to sew it this way on a flat bed.

RedGarnet222 02-24-2016 08:51 AM

Many patterns leave an opening in the lining while sewing it for turning. Then when both outside and inside are finished, you stack the two together right sides together, sew them together at the top while they are inside out, turn them through the opening and hand sew the bottom of the lining together. Make sense?

KenmoreGal2 02-24-2016 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 (Post 7475659)
Many patterns leave an opening in the lining while sewing it for turning. Then when both outside and inside are finished, you stack the two together right sides together, sew them together at the top while they are inside out, turn them through the opening and hand sew the bottom of the lining together. Make sense?

Yes, I have seen that. I'll have to consider if I can work that into the way I make bags. (Oh, I hate to hand sew!!! Hate it!)

KenmoreGal2 02-24-2016 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7475658)
I also think the bags look great. If you have a walking foot, you can try that. Also, I have found that if you are sewing around the top of the bag and the stitching is on the outside, it's easier to turn the bag inside out. If the stitching is going to be from the inside, then sew with the bag right side out. It's much easier to sew it this way on a flat bed.

Thanks. I understand but I think the zippers prevent me from doing this. Correct??

GEMRM 02-24-2016 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 (Post 7475675)
Yes, I have seen that. I'll have to consider if I can work that into the way I make bags. (Oh, I hate to hand sew!!! Hate it!)

You don't have to hand sew the opening you leave in the lining for turning - you can usually pull it to the outside of the purse, pinch a small seam in it and sew it together that way - it's so small it doesn't really show, and it's usually either in a side seam or bottom region - where no one but you would see it anyway.
Another way to do it is to pinch the seam together and then sew from the outside - kind of like a stitch in the ditch sort of thing.

0tis 02-24-2016 07:47 PM

I would check out Sara Lawson's website - www.sewsweetness.com - she has excellent bag patterns - she has two books out and has published a couple of free patterns on the web too - she is an excellent handbag teacher. I learned by making bags from her patterns. Also, check out videos on youtube - you can see almost any technique that you need on there - I have learned everything on the internet - I had no sewing experience and am self taught - I think you did a wonderful job just winging it.

FabStripper 02-24-2016 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 (Post 7475677)
Thanks. I understand but I think the zippers prevent me from doing this. Correct??

I think you can open the zipper halfway and be able to turn it to the right sides. I think the feet go on before you put the bag together don't they? I might be thinking of other kind of foot for luggage or big bags.