Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bag/Tote Handles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bag-tote-handles-t196030.html)

dmarina 07-28-2012 02:41 PM

Bag/Tote Handles

I need some items for Bag and Tote handles. I'm having a hard time finding the webbing that I want so would like some ideas from you. Most of my bag handles are made from the bag material, but would like to do something different. Thanks for any suggestion.

Tink's Mom 07-28-2012 02:45 PM

I have bought the webbing at Joann's also bought a belt at Salvation Army...it was a woven summer belt for a man...worked just right.

ckcowl 07-28-2012 02:50 PM

belts work- web ones, leather ones, even elastic ones- also ties make good handles- all kinds of thing can be used - felted wool knitted cables- ....

Leonita 07-28-2012 03:27 PM

I buy belts at thrift sotres/ yard sales. Be careful sewing leather. it can throw you machine out of time. ( I did alterations & had this happen).. Also I've found some really neat macarame handles & use as it. I do wash them first. Made some jean purses & everyone like the handles. Matched the lining to colors of belt. The elastic webbing would stretch too much for bag in my opinion

QuiltE 07-28-2012 04:38 PM

I prefer fabric ... use a piece of fabric 6 times the width of your desired handle, and a piece of batting the width you want. Then iron fabric in 1/2 lengthwise. Centre the batting on the fabric and iron the two sides in, so that the raw edges are buried. Then rows of topstitch/quilting about 1/4" apart the length of the handle.

It stays flat with use, and makes for a very comfortable handle to carry. And of course, coordinates with your bag!

Another possibility is to braid fabric together ... either raw edge or tubes turnes on batting.

Rann 07-28-2012 04:42 PM

Hobby Lobby has webbing.

pattypurple 07-28-2012 04:43 PM

I like the cotton webbing vs. the nylon/poly stuff. Best price I've found is Hobby Lobby. You can get purchased handles at Joann's. I've seen handles made from embroidery hoops, rope and on denim bags I cut the flat felled seams from the outside of the legs of old jeans and use it for handles

joyce888 07-28-2012 04:52 PM

OMG! I gave away soo many belts that would have worked beautifully for bags. Oh well story of my life. I did the same thing with tons of zippers I had; thought I'd never use them since I didn't make garments anymore. Dumb dumb dumb!

sassey 07-28-2012 04:58 PM

In the ribbon and emblishment section at Jo anns they have some neat strapping that is suitable for handles some is kind of pricey you can also buy chain and weave it with ribbon and ect to make your own, Just think outside the box and you will come up with many ideas on evening bags I have used a necklace for handles

nycquilter 07-29-2012 04:02 AM

www.newarkdress.com offers webbing. I have not bought their webbing, but have used them for other supplies with satisfaction. I don't know if M&J Trimming (on 6th Ave in Manhattan) has a web site but they have practically everything you might want.