Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bah! Now everyone I know wants a quilt!! LOL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bah-now-everyone-i-know-wants-quilt-lol-t32538.html)

momto4 12-28-2009 09:26 PM

After seeing my fiances quilt and some of the Christmas gifts that I gave away everyone wants a quilt now lol. I better get super busy if im going to make enough gifts for NEXT Christmas lol. Very happy that they all like them but still lol. Has this happened to ya'll before?

sharon b 12-28-2009 09:29 PM

YES.. YES.. and YES.. and most of the time I will do them on my time and conditions :lol: If they get too demanding , then I just start to ignore them or pretend I don't hear them when they try to talk to me about making them a quilt :? Welocme to the world of quilting :wink:

cutebuns 12-28-2009 09:35 PM

yes, it happened to me, I get requests all the time, and I do the ones that I want for who I want, I am still doing ones for family, the odd one gets made for others along the way depending on the event or celebration.

Bottle Blonde 12-28-2009 09:45 PM

Yes and I also have requests for crocheted items. My family not only asks for quilts, they want aprons, potholders, pillowcases, hats, scarves, mittens, slippers, afghans, etc... and I hear about it if I don't come thru with the goods every year at Christmas.
But you know - I love it!

Iluv2quilt 12-29-2009 03:43 AM

My dh's family is very upset with me as I haven't had the time to make all 8 of them quilts. I made a real pretty red, black and white quilt for my MIL last year for her birthday and Christmas, and my SIL started to cry saying I don't love her. I don't really like to work under pressure like that, so right now I'm in the "stubborn" stage.

mic-pa 12-29-2009 03:46 AM

Yep!! when they see a quilt I give as a gift they say "would you put me on your Christmas list" and most people have no idea the $$ or time it takes to make a quilt.

Deecee 12-29-2009 03:58 AM

I agree mic-pa, most people have NO IDEA about the cost, time and effort that goes into a quilt.

I smile and say "I am committed at the moment but if I get some free time...".

I am happy to do quilts as gifts for friends and family but don't like to be pressured with specific orders.

janRN 12-29-2009 05:44 AM

I had the most fun quilting yesterday than I've had in months simply because I worked on what I WANTED to work on-not what I had to do or needed to do. It was relaxing and I didn't use my seam ripper once!! No stiff neck or sore shoulders. For the past several months I've worked on things other people ordered or for gifts that had to be done.
I feel honored and proud when people do ask me to make them something but I agee-- they don't realize the cost or time involved. I think I'll just quilt "for me" for the next several weeks.
Think of it this way: you must be a good quilter for your friends and relatives to all want them. As DeeCee said: just smile....

thismomquilts 12-29-2009 05:51 AM

I agree with others here - I DO hear from others - like, well, you didn't make my child one... yeah, and there's a reason for that!!! I do not like making quilts because I 'have' to - rather because I 'want' to - will I eventually get everyone one? Sure, but not at the expense of my joy in quilting...

Bevanger 12-29-2009 05:51 AM

oh yeah, but it sure feels good tho huh?