Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bamboo batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bamboo-batting-t185264.html)

Jerudy 04-06-2012 03:35 PM

Bamboo batting

Just got home from Joann fabs and picked up a craft size (36 x 45in) bamboo batting for the whopping clearance price of $1.97 (less my usual 10% discount. Ok, now what do you use with bamboo batting and should I have bought a few more????

QuiltnNan 04-06-2012 03:38 PM

i would have bought all that they had :)

hperttula123 04-06-2012 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5121933)
i would have bought all that they had :)

lol, I was thinking the same thing. You only got one??? Lol :) :) You can use it for just about anything. I've only used it once and it is great.

carla m 04-06-2012 04:17 PM

wow its usually high dollar stuff not sure if its any good though ive never tried it cause its so expensive. alot of people swear by it though.
carla

RST 04-06-2012 05:16 PM

I've used it a few times. I like it. It makes a nice light, crisp texture quilt, yet still has nice drape.

The only negative thing I've heard about it is that it's not really as "green" / eco-friendly as it purports to be, as it requires harsh chemicals to break the bamboo fibers down into batting materials. On the plus side, bamboo is more sustainable to grow than cotton.

RST

DogHouseMom 04-06-2012 05:29 PM

I snagged a king size for $20 at the Paducah show last year. Havnt used it yet though!

Jerudy 04-06-2012 05:40 PM

Only got 1 the first time, ran back down and got the rest (6 more), it is Fairfield craft size bamboo batting (50%cotton and 50% bamboo), regular price 17.99 ea, this time I used my 20% off coupon for my entire purchase, including sale and clearance items. So they came up as $1.58 ea. I thought they would be good for wall hangings, table runners and placemats.

Oh the joy of living less than a 1/4 mi. from Joanns.........

jaciqltznok 04-06-2012 07:08 PM

it is on clearance because of how it is made. Apparently the company was sued, because they claim to be "green" but in reality the process used to make that batting was anything but green! Also, it does not play nice so it is not a good seller anyway!

Silver Needle 04-06-2012 08:40 PM

If you want a great draping batting with bamboo try Quilter's Dream Orient. It's fabulous!

HMK 04-06-2012 09:16 PM

I'm working with bamboo batting and using some black Kona in the quilt and on the back. The bamboo is nothing but a bunch of fluff and I have no idea how I'm going to get all the fluff off the black. You know how cat hair sticks to everything - well so does this bamboo batting. My eyes were swollen just about shut as I was doing the quilting and itchy and now I know why - all those teeny tiny particles of bamboo flying around. Too bad I have about 10 metres of it to use up ( it's 3 metres or 120 inches wide).