Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bamboo batting from walmart (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bamboo-batting-walmart-t99998.html)

butterflywing 02-17-2011 09:32 AM

i've used bamboo, i think it was fairfield, 2x, and really liked it.
i didn't think it was flimsy or limp. it is a little more money than warm and natural but i get it with a coupon. i use it on my long arm, had no tension issues (maybe i was lucky) and see no reason not to use it again if the price is right the shrinkage is about the same and i don't wash batting..

geckos42 02-17-2011 01:23 PM

I like bamboo batting. It's perfect for Arizona's climate. Bamboo breathes - offering warmth in the winter and wicking moisture away from the body when it's hot. It's antibacterial so it's great for people with allergies and skin sensitivities. It shrinks the normal 2-3% but it's that shrinkage that makes a quilt look like a quilt! :)

butterflywing 02-17-2011 09:21 PM

i agree about the comfort. in new jersey it's humid in the summer and clammy in the winter. the bamboo is very comfortable and still lightweight.

Debbie downunder 02-18-2011 12:39 AM

Yes I have found that it shrinks about the same as cotton as well. I wash before I use. The other thing I have found is that it 'fluffs' in the bobbin casing and the machine needs regular cleaning.

Rainy Day 02-18-2011 12:52 AM

I have made four quilts with it that have been used. I am not including my UFOs here. They have all been machine washed, one pretty much weekly (the one in my Avatar), and I love it. It has a lovely loft, and it makes a great cover up here in Australia on hot nights. It is also nice on cold nights as an extra blanket. It does beard a bit, but so does cotton in the quilt my GF made us.

Rose L 02-18-2011 01:32 AM

Wow, apparently all Bamboo batts are not created equally. I used a 50/50 bamboo/cotton batt (Koyoto) in the quilt in my avatar. I hand quilted it and totally loved it. I did not preshrink but washed it once the quilt was completed and dried it in the drier on the regular perma press cycle and it came out just beautiful. That quilt is so soft it just melts around you like butter. My daughter and Son-IL love it too.
Rose

BevD 02-18-2011 01:34 AM

I first used bamboo batting over a year ago and would not use anything else now. It washes easily, is warm in winter, cool in summer and goes through the sewing machine like a dream. I guess it would be the same as other battings as in you get what you pay for.

patdesign 02-18-2011 10:52 AM

Gee, based on everyones input, I may have to try this.:)

bakermom 02-18-2011 01:39 PM

FYI Joanns is clearancing their queen size bamboo batting reg. 42.99 for 9.99. I picked one up to try it.

jaciqltznok 02-21-2011 06:50 AM

I bought a bamboo batt from another company this weekend and compared it to the walmart...they are like night and day...the walmart one is very limp and lifeless, while the other one is has body, substance, and is less fuzzy feeling!

So I would venture to say that just because the label says bamboo (viscose) does not mean it is the one you are wanting...know your batts!