Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   bargello assembly question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bargello-assembly-question-t107367.html)

Happy Treadler 03-13-2011 12:38 PM

I'm currently working on my first bargello quilt because I have been so inspired by the many gorgeous ones posted here. My dumb question for the day is when I'm sewing my numbered strips together (after I cut them across), should I be having trouble with my stitching coming out as I'm lining up my seams & corners or is it just that you need to be really careful of how you handle them as you sew them into strips? The stitching just seems loose, and I worry it will unravel when I quilt it. Maybe I'm just overly-cautious. :roll:

I've currently got 3 out of the 4 pieces together, so only one more to go. I want to be sure I'm doing it correctly because I just ordered the Surf Song pattern book because I fell in love with the look of the "wavy" pattern and would like to know before attempting this bigger one. The one I'm working on now is just a small wall hanging.

Thanks for any tips on these beautiful bargellos.

Fabaddict 03-13-2011 12:53 PM

most of the time when you sew your strips together to form your design, you catch the thread going across and that locks it. However, I did have a few on mine that I nad to reinforce. And when I quilted it, nothing came apart.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 03-13-2011 01:21 PM

I know it's late to tell you this, but I was told to shorten the stitch length when sewing the strips together to prevent this unraveling after you cut them.

Happy Treadler 03-13-2011 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I know it's late to tell you this, but I was told to shorten the stitch length when sewing the strips together to prevent this unraveling after you cut them.

Good to know for the next one! Happy to hear I didnt really mess up.

Lori S 03-13-2011 02:13 PM

I always use a shorter stitch when working with strip sets.... and handle them carefully. I find it helpful to also do the project in sections and stay stitch around the sections before joining them... because no matter how careful or short the stitch lenght the weight and drag can pull the stitches apart.

Mariposa 03-13-2011 02:19 PM

I use a shorter stitch length, and also watch that the sections I am sewing do not "hang" down too much. Meaning, I try to keep the project up on the table around the machine, or in my lap. Don't want to stress those seams!
And the book with Surf Song in it is great! I have a Surf Song wall hanging kit just waiting for me~~~
Happy sewing, and please share pics! :)

Sadiemae 03-13-2011 02:41 PM

I shorten my stitch legnth.

Snorky Lvs2Quilt 03-13-2011 03:41 PM

When I took my bargello class our instructor told us to reduce the stitch length. Seemed to work.

Happy Treadler 03-13-2011 03:48 PM

Yet again, I learn something new. Thanks so much for the info. Thankfully I didn't use a long stitch length on this one, so I'm not having TOO much trouble. I definitely know what to do for the next one!

wanda lou 03-13-2011 03:54 PM

I think I am going to try a bargello soon, Please post pictures.