Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bargello contruction question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bargello-contruction-question-t36783.html)

barnbum 02-13-2010 06:21 AM

I was reading the directions for a Bargello quilt this morning and I'm starting to get it. :thumbup: But, if all the color strips are sewn together 1-20--in order to create the strips for the rows, one just takes out the stitches in order to get the colors needed? It just seems like a lot of unstitching, but I can see how that'd be easier than trying to sew strips in the order of the rows.... and the reason for the 1-20 sets is getting clearer and clearer. Just checking to be sure I'm on the right track.

Did that make sense?

This will be such fun to select colors for!! I wish it wasn't project #5.

tlrnhi 02-13-2010 06:32 AM

I'm with you about the unstitching,,,seems like a waste of time, but then again, makes it easier to do.
My thinking on making it is the same as yours, but since I haven't made one...I'm actually scared to do it....I'm waiting a while....
I'm sure someone will say that what you are thinking is the way of doing it

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-13-2010 06:39 AM

The unstitching really isn't that bad. It's only every other row. The rows in between are cut. You might check out Billie Lauder's video on QuiltersTV. She explains the process very well. She also has a good tip about notching every second row to help with alignment. My bargello (which would look better if I used a pattern) was super fast and easy.

Barb_MO 02-13-2010 06:43 AM

I do multiple strip sets. With the bargello colors going up and down, you will file that say fabric #1 appears several times at the top. So does #2 and #3 and so on....but not all colors will appear at the top.
You will have to sew as many strip sets any way you do it...it is just easier to me to sew the sets in order as the will appear in the quilt so some of them. You won't have to unsew any seams in those set.

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 02-13-2010 06:44 AM

I kept a pair of really fine embroidery scissors right next to me, and I just snipped the first few threads and the rest just came apart when I pulled. My rows were mostly pretty narrow though. It would be just a simple to open up the seam a little, and cut through all the stitches with the scissors instead of using a stitch ripper.

barnbum 02-13-2010 06:50 AM

I looked for the video but it's not available?

Okay--I'll unstitch. I picked a complicated first pattern. :roll:

Thanks!!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-13-2010 06:57 AM

The videos on QuiltersTV seem to come and go with no schedule! Some have been on for eons and others are on and then off.

Billie's suggestion for notching is this.... On the strips that you cut to have half a color at the top, go down 3 or 4 colors, fold the color in 1/2 and cut tiny notches on the edges. Be sure to stay within the seam allowance. When you go to sew strips together, these notches will line up with the seams on the strips that have not been cut.

Billie also suggests using an eyebrow razor for the unsewing. I had never heard of an eyebrow razor but it look like it worked pretty slick for her. I just used a seam ripper.

donnajean 02-13-2010 07:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the "Twisted Bargello" pattern by Chirs Timmins of Australia if your interested.

Dawn Hendrix 02-13-2010 07:27 AM

Trust me.. I did it the other way.. and it was AWEFUL.. make the srtips.

I tested a pattern for a quilter ooo boy oo boy strips are sooo much easier than all thise little squares.

barnbum 02-13-2010 08:05 AM

donnajean--that's the pattern I just bought!! It's the one I'm going to do--try to do. :wink:

Oh gosh--I'd never do squares. I shudder at the thought.

My iron just quit so I need to get to a store before I can keep going. Blast! I was on a roll while the wash finished and before I grab groceries and horse stuff. Sigh.