Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bargello fabric colors - how do these look? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bargello-fabric-colors-how-do-these-look-t316417.html)

DawnFurlong 09-19-2021 04:04 PM

Bargello fabric colors - how do these look?

3 Attachment(s)
I am doing my first bargello quilt, following the pattern Surf Song from Eileen Wright's book Twist and Turn Bargello Quilts. I want to use blues and greens (I found an image of a quilt I loved, I believe the quilt was actually made by a member of Quilting Board - Eddie - a number of years ago).

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to choose fabrics. I did end up going to a second LQS and ended up replacing 5 fabrics. Since the pattern calls for 20 fabrics, I feel pretty good that I only felt I needed to swap out 5!

How do these fabrics look together? I took a picture in color then in black and white. I am also posting a picture of the quilt that is my inspiration for color. Nervous to start cutting!
Attachment 635507
Attachment 635508
Attachment 635509

audsgirl 09-19-2021 07:47 PM

I've never made a bargello quilt, but to my eye, these fabrics look very nice. I can see why you would be inspired by that terrific quilt. Good luck.

Leslie

toogie 09-19-2021 09:44 PM

I think it will be beautiful! I have just made Bargello runners but I love the process. I have been wanting to make this pattern also, but I have to get it first-lol-I will be anxious to see your finish.

bearisgray 09-20-2021 01:19 AM

The first dark blue on the left sort of "stood out" to me -

Perhaps rearrange/rotate the fabrics - like what happens when one makes a bargello - to see how the fabrics play together when they are "moved"

(I know what I mean with that last sentence, but it definitely reads awkwardly. Maybe someone can help me/us out?)

Homespun 09-20-2021 04:48 AM

It will be gorgeous!

LAF2019 09-20-2021 05:07 AM

looks great to me!

DawnFurlong 09-20-2021 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8508670)
The first dark blue on the left sort of "stood out" to me -

Perhaps rearrange/rotate the fabrics - like what happens when one makes a bargello - to see how the fabrics play together when they are "moved"

(I know what I mean with that last sentence, but it definitely reads awkwardly. Maybe someone can help me/us out?)

I understand what you mean! I already have quite a few pictures on my phone of various swaps with regard to fabric placement. That fabric is just outside of the other darker blues (it has black in it). I'm actually thinking of another blue that I think I have at home that is dark - but I think more inline with the other dark blues. I'll have to do some switching around. I know that I had one of the greens that I thought was in the right place, but just for grins switched it with a different fabric - and immediately I was like YES! The 2nd fabric is the one that really belongs here.

petthefabric 09-20-2021 11:07 AM

Your inspiration photo and fabrics seem to work.
Then it gets into personal preferrence. I'd like more value contrast. Someone else said the dark stands out.

Macybaby 09-20-2021 12:55 PM

I think you are going to be fine with that particular pattern, as it is waves and does not intertwine. So even though your blues look very similar, it won't "muddle" the design. When I look at your thumbnail pictures without my computer glasses on, I can only count 12 different colors changes. It can give very subtle shading and sometimes that it can be too subtle for the design.

One of my biggest mistakes when pulling fabric (and embroidery thread) is having colors that are too close together, so when you back up a bit, you end up losing some of the pattern because of it.

sewbizgirl 09-20-2021 04:17 PM

Wow, that's going to be a gorgeous quilt!