Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bargello quilt for a newbie! Also tips for making one! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bargello-quilt-newbie-also-tips-making-one-t168042.html)

mtnative 11-13-2011 05:34 PM

UglyCook has great directions for a wonderful bargello that is great for a beginner. It has four colors so that makes it a litttle easier. You might try to PM her and ask about it. She sent me an email with the directions. Haven't started it yet ~ on the bucket list.

DogHouseMom 11-13-2011 05:47 PM

I've made quite a few Bargello ... I have a few tips.

1) Choosing fabric is very important. You will need to consider both color and value. Value is light vs dark. To help you choose value you can either use a color shield (blue for reds and browns, red for all other colors), or take a picture then convert it to B&W. Basically you need to strip the fabric of color so you can see the light from the dark. Also with regard to choosing fabric - avoid large prints with a lot of degree of change in either color or value. For example a large sunflower on a green background is not a good choice. Look for fabrics that have a print smaller than the smallest bargello square you will cut. The end result will be a better blend from one strip to another without the wrong color interrupting the flow. Study your choices in different lighting as well. Don't expect to pull your fabric and start cutting right away - look at them a long time. I have yet to use the first audition I've made for a bargello.

2) Cutting and sorting - once you've chosen your fabric put post it's on them with the letter or number of the fabric. Use an end piece of your first strip cut - pin it to your design board with the number. keep it there so you'll always know that the purple pansy is #1 and the grapes are #2.

3) Sewing the strips. Make sure that your seam allowance is consistent from one strip to the next. Sew one strip one direction and the next in the opposite direction to avoid bows. I usually leave the leading tail of thread attached so I know which end I started sewing that strip. Iron every seam after you sew it, don't wait to iron them all. After you sew each strip and iron it - MEASURE IT!! This is true for both the color strips (the first step) and the bargello strips (the second step).

4) Assembly - hang the bargello strips on your design wall as shown in the directions - don't sew them together until you've hung all the strips. I usually mark them as well (1, 2, 3). When all are hung, step back and look at it - it's VERY easy to hang one strip up-side-down. Take a picture and then look at the photograph - you won't believe how many times we have not noticed mistakes until we've posted them here on the board and looked at our photo's!

have fun!!

Added one more thing ... I do this with most patterns, and especially with bargello. Make a copy of the pattern and use a pencil to check off strips you've cut (it's easy to lose count) and strips you've sewn and hung on the wall.

Grambi 11-13-2011 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Maybe1day (Post 4675009)
Hi,
This past weekend a friend and I challenged ourselves to make our first Bargello's. After 3 intensive days (we started Friday afternoon) we are half way through and very pleased with the results.

Hasn't been with out our frustrations though, this is what we found -
1) read read then read the pattern again.
2) have those little post it's ready and lots of pins to label every cut and pile of cuts(there are heaps of them) I also found it handy to have a few little bags, I think you call them zip locks?
3)Be very careful when laying ut your cut strips to have your lights always facing the right way (Jack the Ripper and I became closer friends over the weekend)

Although we are both very happy with our results, I am so glad that I suggested our first attempt should be something small such as a table runner.

We also discovered that the pattern in the book is flawed.

Good luck with your quest

Maybe1day

Can you share with us the name of the book and pattern and what the flaw is. My luck being the way it is lately, I will pick the flawed book/pattern. I would love to learn from your hard work (lol).

NURSELYNN1 11-13-2011 06:31 PM

I have done several bargello quilts in throw size. Not a difficult pattern but does take concentration to keep the strips right end up. The end result is awsome, no matter what pattern you use

joyce888 11-13-2011 07:06 PM

This is another thread I will follow - a Bargello is on my bucket list (I know better than to make it a New Year's resolution!).