Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Basement finish - question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basement-finish-question-t199383.html)

twilight 09-02-2012 06:06 PM

I have an office chair to use for sewing. I also have the plastic floor mat under it that they use in offices. Keeps the chair moving easier and doesn't leave marks in the carpet in my sewing room, living room., or traveltrailer. I really like it.

Gramie bj 09-02-2012 06:41 PM

My sewing area had carpet, now has tile, so glad I made the change! My rolling chair does not seam to move as I use the machine. but a gental push and I'm away from the machine or can adjust the angel I'm at in front of it. Tryed an area rug for warmth, but missed the easy movement of my chair. It was, In my opion, more trouble than it was worth. If I were you I would hang on to the rug untill the remodel was finished, try it with and without rug than you will know for sure.

Crqltr 09-02-2012 09:27 PM

I have a carpet under my sewing area for warmth, the cement floors in the basement can get chilly in the winter here.

117becca 09-03-2012 02:57 AM

i also have the carpet for warmth in the basement. But then, nothing is within "rolling" distance anywho.....sigh

jcrilley 09-03-2012 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rosie the "Ripper" (Post 5486226)
I am finally having my basement finished after using it for my sewing area for five years. I have always had an area rug under my sewing table, but now I am having a vinyl floor put down. I don't know whether to get rid of the area rug or keep it to put back under my table. My chair is on rollers, so it does "hug" the rug and not roll around while I sew, but I do have to vacuum often because of the threads and lint. What would you do? I am trying to get rid of things that I won't be using since I have to clear the area for the workmen to start. Thanks for your thoughts.

I have vinyl in my sewing room and love it. I don't even use swiffers - I use batting scraps instead (cheaper!). I give it a quick run over each time I finish sewing for the day and it is wonderful!

Jackie Spencer 09-03-2012 05:24 AM

How about one of those big clear mats you see in offices, under chairs. I have seen them at Walmart. They protect your floor or carpeting from wear, easy to roll around on but not slick.

Gail B 09-03-2012 06:17 AM

I have laminate in my sewing room. I love that I can easily roll wherever I want to go BUT if I am free motion quilting the chair rolls back so I am constantly having to roll back to my machine. Don't like that much. I'm going to put down an area rug to stop that problem.

jcrow 09-03-2012 06:32 AM

I have carpeting with a vinyl mat in front of my sewing area. I would love to get rid of the carpet for all the reasons above plus I don't like vacuuming in there. All the pins, little pieces of fabric and thread cause so much problems to my vacuum cleaner.

sandy l 09-03-2012 06:32 AM

I have laminate flooring in my sewing room, had carpet in old room and would never go back to that.

Sunnye 09-03-2012 07:16 AM

In my basement room, I have a painted concrete floor. That would be similar to your vinyl one.
I use a "portable" sewing table, which I found moved some when I speed sew. So I put a small rug under the legs/wheels to stop that.
Yes, my chair has wheels and it does move some so I am thinking about putting a small rug or carpet remnant under that to keep me from rolling backwards as I quilt!
Oh for heaven's sake, don't put a big rug down! I use minky quite a bit and that stuff gets all over the place, not to mention threads! Just leave the vinyl; it will help in keeping the floor clean or fabric dander.