Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Basting with Elmer's Glue - - - ugh (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basting-elmers-glue-ugh-t234434.html)

BellaBoo 11-11-2013 07:59 AM

I don't like basting spray at all. The over spray is horrible to clean up and too much trouble to cover all exposed areas in the room. Way too many chemicals to breath too. I tried it outside, won't do that again. LOL. Until something better then washable school glue is found to baste quilts, that is the only way I will baste. I have used thread, covered safety pins, gun tacks, spray, fusible batting, and machine basting. The only other way I will baste if I don't have school glue is with Pinmoors.

Neesie 11-11-2013 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by lakekids (Post 6398595)
I tried the Elmers Glue basting this weekend. I diluted the glue and used a paint brush to brush it on. My quilt back and batting were on my cutting table but hang over the sides because of the size of the quilt. I did the center portion first and then shifted the quilt to get to other sections. However, I noticed that the backing wrinkled up. I eventually tossed it in the washer and dryer. I will go back to pin basting because I was not happy with the results.

Which did you put down first - the batting or the fabric? The batting should always be on the bottom, then the top/backing smoothed on top of it. I use Warm & White/Natural batting and have never had the fabric wrinkle.

meyert 11-11-2013 08:22 AM

lakekids - how much did you dilute the glue?

meyert 11-11-2013 08:25 AM

Annie68 - the microwave!! genius! Thank you for that tip!

grammy17 11-11-2013 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 6397567)
I use Elmer's washable school glue to baste the sandwich. Not glue sticks.

me too. That is what i thought. So far, I've not had any trouble. But I can identify with the arthritis in the thumb.

MaggieLou 11-11-2013 09:03 AM

I just tried the Elmer's Glue spray and one suggestion I have is not to use a sprayer that sprays a stream. That's the only one I had so I used it. However, you don't have the overspray using a stream. I found it works just as well but it leaves a heavier covering. I liked it much better than trying to squeeze it from the bottle. The next batch I'll try it with a spray instead of the stream and see how it works.

Carol34446 11-11-2013 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by lakekids (Post 6398595)
I tried the Elmers Glue basting this weekend. I diluted the glue and used a paint brush to brush it on. My quilt back and batting were on my cutting table but hang over the sides because of the size of the quilt. I did the center portion first and then shifted the quilt to get to other sections. However, I noticed that the backing wrinkled up. I eventually tossed it in the washer and dryer. I will go back to pin basting because I was not happy with the results.

Did you let the center part dry well? Maybe find a place to lay it totally flat, seems to me the hanging over may be the problem with the wrinkling.

misseva 11-11-2013 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 6398917)
Because quilt basting spray is smelly and expensive.

AND you have to worry with over spray.

madamekelly 11-11-2013 01:07 PM

If you buy the littlest bottles, that they make for individual students, you can put the bottle between your thumb and palm, and squeeze that way, it can be easier on your thumb, or you can hold it with your fist with the nozzle facing down will also avoid thumb pain.

BellaBoo 11-11-2013 02:20 PM

I just tried the Elmer's Glue spray

The only Elmer's Glue Spray I have seen is permanent adhesive. It's worse then the basting spray. Have you found a washable Elmer's Spray?