Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Basting with Glue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basting-glue-t212186.html)

JudyMcLeod 01-27-2013 02:20 PM

Basting with Glue

I just read on here about all of you that are using Elmer's school glue for basting wallhangings and quilts. Well, I tried CraZArt washable school glue on a wall hanging and it is puckering where I put the glue. I did iron it after I put it on, but you can tell where the glue is holding the fabric down. Did I do something wrong or do I have to use Elmer's glue? Know some of you mentioned just buying it at the dollar store, so I bought this brand at Wallmart. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks and have a great Sunday!

Daylesewblessed 01-27-2013 03:04 PM

Are you saying that the glue did not wash out?

JudyMcLeod 01-27-2013 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed (Post 5818465)
Are you saying that the glue did not wash out?

It is a wall hanging and I did not wash it when it was done. It is puckering where the glue was.

Sally J 01-27-2013 03:22 PM

I only use Elmers so not sure if others work. It is inexpensive if you buy large quantity so I wouldn't test others. I just love it for bindings and also for quilts

Material Witness 01-27-2013 03:47 PM

The point of using washable glue for basting is that it washes out. Could you just soak this wall hanging in water to dissolve the glue, then dry flat?

EasyPeezy 01-27-2013 04:38 PM

This happened to me the first time I used glue and it was Elmer's washable school glue.
I guess my glue was a bit old and had thickened. So I diluted it with waster and it
was so much better. I was also told to put the batting down, put the glue on the
batting and then glue the top or backing whichever side you're doing...then do the
other side again putting the batting at the bottom. Use fine lines and if you see
a big smear just wipe it with your finger. I keep a wet washcloth next to me
while I'm doing this so I don't have to run to the sink every time.
Having said that some put the glue on the fabric side and doesn't seem
to have any problem. I guess it's a question of how much glue you're using
and how fresh your glue is.

Prism99 01-27-2013 05:37 PM

I think glue is suitable for basting if you are going to wash the quilt afterwards, when the glue comes out. Even if there are globs of glue and puckering, it really doesn't matter if the quilt is washed.

For a wallhanging that won't be washed, I think it would be a much better idea to spray baste with 505.

Since the wallhanging already has the glue in it, the suggestion to soak it in water to dissolve the glue is going to be your only solution to the problem.

Buckeye Rose 01-27-2013 06:47 PM

I've used CrazyArt glue and it works just fine. Glue basting is for quilts that will be washed after finishing.

mighty 01-27-2013 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose (Post 5819016)
I've used CrazyArt glue and it works just fine. Glue basting is for quilts that will be washed after finishing.

You have to wash it.

JudyMcLeod 01-28-2013 09:13 AM

Thanks for all your comments. I will try wetting the spots that are puckered and see if that helps. Appreciate all your tips.