Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Basting Guns ... what do you think? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basting-guns-what-do-you-think-t181612.html)

just janet 03-05-2012 06:46 PM

I have one and love it. It's the only thing I use for basting my quilts. I don't like spray basting.

sept97 03-06-2012 03:55 AM

I tried a basting gun and to be honest I returned it. It did nothing. I'm totally for basting spray. My puckering days are behind me. I say try it the spray on some scraps to see if you like it, I'm sure you will

SunlitenSmiles 03-06-2012 03:58 AM

You are using a walking foot, right......and supporting the quilt all around the machine?

many are allergic to the spray basting it can cause severe breathing problems, as well as gummed up machine.

oleganny 03-06-2012 04:53 AM

I had one many years ago & threw it away. The first time I tried to use it, it made holes in my fabric. I haven't had good luck with spray basting either - must be doing something wrong - because so many people love it. depending on the size of the quilt I use a combination of safety pins & actual basting - takes longer to get the sandwich ready, but I'm usually pleased with the end result. I hand baste on the diagonal & through the center - then pin the rest. Since I hand quilt, I am going to buy one of the grace frames that will eliminate all basting. I had a 4 rail frame many years ago & loved it, but one of the geared rails broke & could never find a replacement for it & it was too large for the available space I have now.

Sunflower Girl 03-06-2012 05:06 AM

I bought one at Tuesday Morning for around $5.00, tried it once and tossed it in the trash! It was worthless.

Kath12 03-06-2012 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt (Post 5030716)
I have one.. I use it for taging garage sale price tags now..

I have one too. . . I use mine to temporarily attach a hanging sleeve on the back of a quilt

VernaL 03-06-2012 06:44 AM

I used to use one and I think it was the Dritz. The thing jammed a lot and I had to replace the needle several times. I think that was $9.00. I didn't have any folds on the back. But, I didn't like the holes it left and now I use the basting spray on larger quilts and safety pins on smaller ones. When I use the spray, I do it outside and tape down each layer to be sure all is ok. I've also used binder clips around the edges to hold down layers when basting on my table using safety pins.

NanaCsews2 03-06-2012 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt (Post 5030716)
I have one.. I use it for taging garage sale price tags now..

Me Too! I never did use that wicked thing for quilts, even though I bought it for that purpose. Never came out of the drawer (thanks to this Board and spray basting reviews) until I wanted something that would stay on the clothes on the rack so some people's parents wouldn't switch price stickers during our garage sale. Starch and spray basting only way to go for me.

judord 03-06-2012 07:46 AM

I have bought Three!! I am a slow learner; LOL! They are a waste of money, and fall apart. Go with glue!
Judy

solstice3 03-06-2012 08:14 AM

I have heard that they are not that great. I can't see where they would have any advantage over pins or basting with thread. Sometimes you just have to suffer through the part you don't like (hand basting)