Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Basting pins are not created equal. Please help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basting-pins-not-created-equal-please-help-t22873.html)

Quiltgranny 07-17-2009 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by sandiphi
I love the Kwik Klip tool also, but I don't use the plastic covers. I haven't done much pin basting since I bought my mid-arm frame and machine.

Congratulations! I'll bet you're having all kinds of fun!! Enjoy your new toys. Thanks for replying. :)

jbsstrawberry 07-17-2009 07:56 PM

I use a large crochet hook to close my pins. I have a ton of them since I crochet too...so I choose which hook to use depending on how my safety pin is. Works great...no pin pricks, no fatigued fingers or crampy hands. Ohhh yeah...did I mention cheap...uhhh I mean frugal? I love multi-purposing things LOL.

Quiltgranny 07-17-2009 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by jbsstrawberry
I use a large crochet hook to close my pins. I have a ton of them since I crochet too...so I choose which hook to use depending on how my safety pin is. Works great...no pin pricks, no fatigued fingers or crampy hands. Ohhh yeah...did I mention cheap...uhhh I mean frugal? I love multi-purposing things LOL.

That's a AWESOME idea!!! :wink: Only problem? I just gave away ALL of my crochet hooks to a dear friend since I'm no longer able to use them. :cry: Next best thing? I'll tell her what she can do with them, thanks to you! Frugal is so cool, too. Good for you!! :-)

butterflywing 07-18-2009 07:28 PM

i used to use the gun that shoots those plastic tags. the tags come in different lengths, and i chose the length that i needed to go in and come up one inch away. since they are flexible and bend with the fabric i had no distortion. and if i left it in for years, there was no rust. when you finish up, you just clip the 'string' and remove the tag ends. i used it until i got my longarm, then i didn't need it anymore.

Quiltgranny 07-18-2009 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i used to use the gun that shoots those plastic tags. the tags come in different lengths, and i chose the length that i needed to go in and come up one inch away. since they are flexible and bend with the fabric i had no distortion. and if i left it in for years, there was no rust. when you finish up, you just clip the 'string' and remove the tag ends. i used it until i got my longarm, then i didn't need it anymore.

Ya know, I wondered about those at one time. Kinda spendy, for one, and I wasn't sure if my hands could handle that operation, either. Thanks, I do appreciate your suggestion. :)

butterflywing 07-18-2009 08:32 PM

when i got the longarm, i passed the grid part on to k3n, who uses the gun. when she gets back from her trip, ask how she likes it.

EDIT: i never used the grid part. my method was different. but i liked the gun a lot.

tlrnhi 07-18-2009 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I use these long pins with yellow tops to them.
They came ALOT to a plastic box.
Sorry I cannot help you more than that.

Open pins? Don't you scratch yourself as you're machine quilting? Don't they fall out? I would be afraid of both things happening to me.

Oh, I have stuck myself numerous times! OUCHY!
I've tried the curved pins, regular safety pins, nope, didn't like them.
I just pin, pin, pin and pin. If I think I don't have enough pins, I pin some more. Sure, it's a bit tiresome, but like they say.....to each their own,right?

Quiltgranny 07-18-2009 09:05 PM

[quote=tlrnhi Oh, I have stuck myself numerous times! OUCHY!
I've tried the curved pins, regular safety pins, nope, didn't like them.
I just pin, pin, pin and pin. If I think I don't have enough pins, I pin some more. Sure, it's a bit tiresome, but like they say.....to each their own,right?[/quote]

What works best for us is usually what we get used to, for sure. Thanks for replying. Hope you stay scratch-free. :)

Rose Marie 07-19-2009 06:38 AM

Getting the quilt ready to quilt is the worst job of all so I invest in all the easiest gadgets to help out.
Tried the spray and it worked well for awhile but then had a disaster with it so stopped using it.
Pining always works so went back to that. But I use the bent pins with covers and the quick clip with the large wood handle, much easier on the hands.
I cant get down on the floor so use my cutting table with the special clips to hold the quilt. I use the large black clips when I run out of the small plastic ones. Larger quilts I have to reposition so the clips are a must.

tlrnhi 07-19-2009 06:40 AM

I have clips that I bought in the auto section of Kmart to clip my quilt to the table so I can pin, pin, pin. But, sometimes the quilt is just too big and needs to be on the floor. That's where the Painters Tape comes in handy.