Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Basting- pins vs spray or? What do you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basting-pins-vs-spray-what-do-you-do-t293415.html)

Becky's Crafts 01-09-2018 07:19 PM

I use June Tailor's Basting Spray & there's very little odor, although it is expensive! I'm paying $43.96 for two cans, but I have arthritis & the pins are painful for me to clip and unclip. This spray baste doesn't take much to be super well stuck & I clean any excess off my table with Isopropyl Alcohol. Super easy, fast and after letting it dry overnight, no gunk on my needles. It's the only way to go for me.

Austinite 01-10-2018 08:16 AM

Pins with Pinmoors are what I do 99% of the time although I'm experimenting with Elmer's Glue. I have no space to lay out a large quilt and nowhere to go to find the space so I pin on the kitchen table. My issue is similar to others that prefer pins: pins made today totally suck, the older yellow quilting pins I have are thick and sharp and work great, a new pack that I bought last year that is the same brand are very thin, dull and bendy. Not impressed.

Jane Quilter 01-10-2018 08:48 AM

Had to give up pin basting due to the quality of today's pins and quality of my old hands. Now I spray or elmer glue small quilts. and us Sharon schumer boards for hand basting large quilts. Sometimes I skip basting at all, and give it to my long armer.

pyffer3 01-10-2018 12:55 PM

Love the elmer's glue method! I probably use too much but it works for me....

Hobbs Batting 05-07-2018 05:49 AM

That depends on the batting and fusing medium used by the manufacturer. Our 80/20 Fusible batting has a water-soluble medium on it. It holds your quilt sandwich together while you quilt and washes out when you wash your quilt.

HTH,
Stephanie

sewingsuz 05-07-2018 08:44 AM

If I use glue for basting I use a paint brush to spread the drizzled glue out so I don't have any lumps of dry glue.I like spray basting the best but i use both.

quiltingshorttimer 05-07-2018 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by themadpatter (Post 7965700)
OK, how do I quilt it without running into my safety pins? Anyone have a video I should watch? Thanks.

as you get close to a pin, stop and remove it, then continue quilting.

magicmoonmusings 05-07-2018 10:15 PM

I thread baste using Sharon Schamber's method. It's time consuming but easy and works so well for both machine and hand quilting.

I tried pin basting years ago and hated it (both doing the pinning and trying to quilt around all the pins). Spray basting works well for wall hangings but I stopped using it some years ago because of the cost and worry about the possible toxicity. It reeks.

Garden Gnome 05-08-2018 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hobbs Batting (Post 8053837)
That depends on the batting and fusing medium used by the manufacturer. Our 80/20 Fusible batting has a water-soluble medium on it. It holds your quilt sandwich together while you quilt and washes out when you wash your quilt.

HTH,
Stephanie

Did you all see this? I think she is saying that Hobbs 80/20 has the "glue" on it already, and it will adhere to the fabric. I wonder if one has to dampen or iron to activate the adhesive? Is it on both sides of the batting? This sounds very interesting.
I always felt that the warm and natural that I use adheres to the quilt top by itself. Something about the seam edges of the pieced top, makes it cling to the batting. So very little spray is needed, anyway.