Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Basting Spray Help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basting-spray-help-t73421.html)

SuziC 10-31-2010 09:55 AM

I have looked at all kinds of basting spray. The one i like is sulky2000 but it is a tiny can and very expensive. The two others i am interesting in trying are Dritz Spray and Elmer's.
But both say that they are extremely flamable and to use caution. Have any of you used these and are they safe? I know that manufacturers have to give warnings to protect themselves and i just don't know which to buy at a reasonable cost. Although i like the sulky, it is only enough spray for one queen size quilt. Any suggestions?????

Prism99 10-31-2010 10:00 AM

Spraying outside (or in a garage with the doors open) would take care of the flammability issue.

Maggie_Sue 10-31-2010 10:05 AM

My favorite is 505, I have no difficulty with this one with my asthma. I spay sparinging downstairs and then leave the area as quickly as I can!

amma 10-31-2010 10:42 AM

The Elmer's one I have is craft spray. It is permanent and not what I would use for quilts. Check to make sure this one is a temporary spray adhesive for quilting :wink:

I think they are all flammable, most aerosols are :D:D:D

peacebypiece 10-31-2010 03:41 PM

Basting sprays are pricey but remember, you don't need to soak the fabric to get it to stick.
I think I like Sulky best, but Dritz is good, too. You can lessen the cost by using the 40% coupons JoAnns sends in their mailer. These coupons are often in the local newspaper, too. I have friends who don't sew, but save the coupons for me. I use that coupon for the most expensive item I'm buying when at JoAnns.
one other tip: JoAnns sells a magazine called Fashion Fusion at least once a year. It costs $2.99, but the back cover has six coupons worth 50%, 40%, and 30%. It's usually quietly displayed somewhere near the cutting area. I usually buy several copies when it comes out and keep them in my car. I rarely get out of that store for less than $40 or $50, so that $2.99 saves me a lot of $$. As for toxicity, read the whole label. I have sinus related allergies and have a lot more problems with other peoples' perfumes than my basting spray.

AliKat 10-31-2010 03:44 PM

I'm asthmatic and use 505! Even when used indoors at church it doesn't bother me ... though I spray it in a different room from where we are sewing.

ali

SherriB 10-31-2010 03:52 PM

I use 505 and really like it. I also have asthma and it normally doesn't bother, even when I would use it indoors. However, I used it the other day and have had some very bad asthma spells, as I call them. I have had to use my rescue inhaler several times a day since. Not sure if it was the 505 or all of the leaves/dust blowing outside in the wind lately. If you are concerned about possible health risks, (ie. asthma, COPD, etc.)I would use a disposable face mask. You could probably get them at a pharmacy or even hardware store.

scowlkat 10-31-2010 03:55 PM

I use Sullivan's quilt basting spray that I buy at Walmart. It's a lot less expensive than the others.

Ditter43 10-31-2010 04:45 PM

I love 505. I needed to get some more and couldn't find a good price on it but found a pretty good deal on Sullivans. I haven't gotten it yet but I know a lot of people on here love it. I hope I like it as much as I do 505!!

jitkaau 10-31-2010 06:54 PM

So long as you don't spray next to an open flame and have a well - ventilated area, you should be OK. Be sparing with the spray - you don't have to saturate the quilt with it. I buy the cheap craft spray as I think the minute it has 'art' or 'quilt' written on the can, the price is tripled for the same product.