Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Basting spray? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basting-spray-t257883.html)

Jeanne S 12-07-2014 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sharonquilts (Post 6998694)
Thanks for asking this question. I've been hesitant to try using a spray. Does anyone have issues with a spray gumming up your sewing machine? Anything special you do to clean your machine when you use a spray?

Thanks,
Sharon

I spray very lightly to sandwich the layers together on a table away from my machine. After it is done, I let the sandwich lay flat on the table or floor overnight before quilting on it. Never had any residue on my machine as the spray is inside the quilt. I will occasionally get a little build up on my machine needle but it comes off easily with my fingers rubbing down the needle. Great stuff!!

quiltingcandy 12-07-2014 05:35 PM

I have used Sullivan's for a while now - but I used it on a white on white fabric and it stained and the sticky did not wash out. I had read that it was okay to use it to secure stabilizer on machine embroidery. At first I was thrilled how it worked and it stopped the waste of the stabilizer - but the staining was a mega surprise and it stayed sticky even after I washed it. So spray it on the batting - not on your quilt, especially if you use white.

I liked the 505 but it was so expensive, so will only buy it on sale. And I used the Dritz spray too, but can't always find it. Trying the Sulky brand now since it claims to be concentrated and has a lot less odor than the others. (Good to know about the length of time it lasts, not sure that is mentioned on the can.)

maminstl 12-07-2014 05:38 PM

505 is my favorite, and I bought some Mettler - also works just fine.

quiltjoey 12-07-2014 06:10 PM

I used the glue and sprays and like the spray best. It's faster and would great for me. I haven't had any gummy problems.

kristijoy 12-07-2014 08:30 PM

I use one by June Taylor. This one is nice. Soft even spray.

I bought the cheapy brand at Joanne's once...it was awful...came out in big glumpy glumps. Blech.

Dolphyngyrl 12-07-2014 08:32 PM

Don't really have a preference, I have used june tailor, 101, 505, and sullivans and all have worked but if I had to choose I prefer sullivans, however it is the worst smelling of all 4 but all of them are horrible smelling to me. I have to use them outside. I must be sensitive because people say they can't smell 505, but I can. I have heard good things about mettler but it is super expensive so haven't tried

kristijoy 12-07-2014 08:33 PM

Tell us about the elmers??? I've heard you can dilute it and put it in a spray bottle???

kristijoy 12-07-2014 08:34 PM

I only spray outside! But then I bring it inside to put together.

sept97 12-08-2014 03:52 AM

I use 505 and dritz. I like them both

Kris P 12-08-2014 04:47 AM

I've used 505 and June Tailor (from JoAnns) and while they are both the same price, the JT is a larger can, and seems to last significantly longer. I experience no problems with the needle gumming up with either. Just don't use excessive amounts.