Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Basting spray (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basting-spray-t266961.html)

Fizzle 06-28-2015 10:58 AM

Basting spray

Does basting spray wash out? I have Dritz Basting Spray. I want to cover my table with a cloth and spray a table runner. My concern. My sister brought over some spray and used my large island to spray and put together some quilts. Said the spray would wiped right off. Well, it didn't. It has eventually come up but it took me a while. I wonder if I can toss my table cloth into wash and the sticky will wash out? It doesn't say anything on the can. I know I can put a drop cloth on the back patio and do this outside but it is super hot and I am feeling pretty lazy this morning! Thanks for your input :)

ManiacQuilter2 06-28-2015 12:44 PM

I always keep a large piece of cardboard that I use exclusively to shield my quilting table from any over-spray. Just can't trust directions anymore.

Lori S 06-28-2015 12:53 PM

I find basting spray washes out better with warm water rather than cold. I use Dritz a lot since its readily available , and have not had issues getting out , but like I said its easier with warm water.

caspharm 06-28-2015 01:44 PM

I use Web Bond TA101 from Mettler. The can says use adhesive cleaner to remove excess. I wonder if Goo Gone would work as well, since it removes adhesive from sticky labels.

Prism99 06-28-2015 01:45 PM

When I have done this, the basting spray has always washed right out of the sheet in the laundry. However, I don't use Dritz basting spray; mine is 505. I would think the same would be true of Dritz -- that it washes out of fabric in the machine.

leatheflea 06-28-2015 02:37 PM

I used Dritz basting spray on some plastic templates to keep them from shifting. When I tried washing them with dawn dishsoap the glue stayed put. I had to get my Mr. clean sponge and scrub it off.... Just saying!

Fizzle 06-28-2015 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea (Post 7241409)
I used Dritz basting spray on some plastic templates to keep them from shifting. When I tried washing them with dawn dishsoap the glue stayed put. I had to get my Mr. clean sponge and scrub it off.... Just saying!

I had to use a magic eraser on my granite! I know what you mean.

i think I will cover with a king size sheet and then launder.

thank you everyone for the help!!!!

quiltingcandy 06-28-2015 04:20 PM

I can speak from experience that the Sullivan spray does NOT wash out easily. It stained the white fabric - turned it yellow, so I washed the fabric, the stain did not come out and it was still very sticky. If I get it on my table it usually takes Goo Gone to remove it totally. I wrote to the company for assistance twice about it staining the fabric and got no response other than someone would get back to me within 24 hours. No one ever did respond. So I have bought my last can of Sullivan.

There has been no trouble with overspray on my carpet with any of the basting sprays I have used over the years - but I have learned to wear the mask while spraying. I use the masks that people wear while moving lawns, they come 3 or 4 to a pack.

ann31039 06-28-2015 06:16 PM

I usually drape mine over the fence to spray it. Or use a vinyl tablecloth to cover my table. BUT..... Do not store your basting spray next to your spray starch. That's all I'm saying about that.

grammysharon 06-28-2015 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fizzle (Post 7241231)
Does basting spray wash out? I have Dritz Basting Spray. I want to cover my table with a cloth and spray a table runner. My concern. My sister brought over some spray and used my large island to spray and put together some quilts. Said the spray would wiped right off. Well, it didn't. It has eventually come up but it took me a while. I wonder if I can toss my table cloth into wash and the sticky will wash out? It doesn't say anything on the can. I know I can put a drop cloth on the back patio and do this outside but it is super hot and I am feeling pretty lazy this morning! Thanks for your input :)

I use a "temporary" basting spray. It washes out with water so can just wipe it off my counter. Tried a different brand and it took vinegar to get it off my quartz countertops!! I wasn't too happy that I had to work so hard to remove it and I will not use anything else again.