Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Basting Spray (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basting-spray-t3176.html)

amma 11-16-2007 04:02 PM

I am wondering if the spray washes out of the quilt, or does it stay in permanently? I have read that if it quilts being sticky that you can heat re-activate it with an iron.
I am going to be making a quilts soon for children with allergies and asthma and I am wondering if this is something that I need to avoid.

Thank You :D :D :D

Shadow Dancer 11-16-2007 04:06 PM

The basting spray I use washes out amma, not sure about other brands. That's a good question regarding the spray and children's quilts, especially children with asthma and allergies. I never even thought of that......gonna have to do some research. :)

june6995 11-16-2007 06:26 PM

Why not write to the manufacturer? If you bought a name brand they may have their email address right on the can. Email is fast!!!

If all else fails write to Dritz and Fiskars and ask if they carry the products and ask about allergies. Bet they will shoot back an answer.

June

moreland 11-16-2007 07:46 PM

I use June Tailor's basting spray and it washed out.

dcurvey 11-16-2007 09:18 PM

For our group that does quilts for people with cancer we had the same problem. We have been using Sulky KK 2000. Check out the website
Sulky.com to read all about it. It is a temporary spray which lasts a day or so. It doesn't have harmful propellants. We use it as part of the sandwiching process...to hold the layers together while we baste it. Though you will pay more for it than the regular spray that hold till the quilt it washed.

mimisharon 11-17-2007 07:30 AM

Amma,
My spray washed out. I am a product package reader, I learned the hard way, that I need to know what's in something and what hazards there might be. I think your manufacturer has to tell you if it has allergens, but I never count on it. I read, read, read, then spray outside. If it doesn't SAY it washes out........don't use it. Just my theory.

Hugs,
Sharon

Chele 11-17-2007 11:35 AM

Basting spray is my new friend! I'm a relatively new quilter, but have only tried machine quilting small items. I'm getting better, but still such a novice. After ripping my attempts yesterday, I read this thread and bought some June Tailor basting spray. IT WORKED! No puckers, no troubles. Woo hoo! Of course, it was just a table runner, but you have to start somewhere! Thanks for the tips! I'm learning so much here. And Amma, I machine stitched my binding! Thanks for giving me a tutorial on that! :wink:

amma 11-17-2007 12:02 PM

Thank you everyone for the replies, I have 3 grandchildren with asthma and severe allergys, and I am very careful because of that. I too have found that some labels are not clear about their chemicals and/or ingredients. Thank you for listing the brand names so that I can check them out.
The quilts I want to make after Christmas will be going to hospitals and nursing homes, and I know there are people there with respiratory problems and allergies, too.
Another issue I have run into is having to use the same laundry soap and fabric softener as is used in their homes if I want to pre wash or wash when it is completed, (due to allergy's) or use the brands that are completely unscented.
Being a new quilter, I figured the spray is going to be a must or I will probably have puckers everywhere, and sure do appreciate all of this info so that I can do a better job machine quilting them.

PS Glad that helped Chele, have you posted a picture yet?

NorseSal 04-17-2010 06:57 PM

I love the basting spray. I have used a couple of different brands and had no problem with having them not wash out. I always wash my quilts when they are finished. Since these sprays are quite expensive, I try to buy them when I have a fifty percent off coupon from Joann or Hancock fabrics. I just use the basting spray and no other basting is needed.