Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batik Anxiety (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batik-anxiety-t229204.html)

sewbizgirl 09-02-2013 08:23 AM

I've seen Storm at Sea done in batiked greens and blues... absolutely TO DIE FOR!!

GrannieAnnie 09-02-2013 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by nature lover (Post 6267344)
I am trying to decide what my next project will be and am confused and hesitant. I love batik fabrics and have a small stash but have never used them. Batik fabric is wonderful just to look at and I don't want to waste them. Any suggestions on selecting a pattern using batiks and/or caring for the fabric when using them would be very helpful.

Be sure to prewash, some bleed a bit.
Quit spazzing about the fabric being batik. Find a pattern you really like and use it.

puzzler 09-02-2013 11:19 AM

Be aware that batiks cost more than other cottons; may bleed (after all, that's why we bought them as clothing many years ago); come in "real" Indonesian vs. Hoffman, etc; and those from Connecting Threads are less expensive and considerably lighter weight (probably good for applique, which I don't do much of). That said, I must confess I am a batik collector and have more of it than almost all other fabrics combined--and my stash is LARGE. Other fabric has to be special categories (cats, cute children's, perfect for a modern quilt, etc.) for me to even consider it.

mom-6 09-02-2013 11:30 AM

If you're like me you will fall in love with your batiks all over again when you start sewing with them!

One of the most dramatic patterns I've seen that almost demands batiks to get the full effect is one called Island Chain. It uses yardage of your light background color and then jelly roll strips to form the chains. Wasn't difficult either. Hardest part was which color to put where for most balanced look as I did not use as many different batiks as the one illustrated.

MargeD 09-02-2013 11:54 AM

I personally love batiks and currently have a stash waiting to make a Boston Commons quilt all in batiks. I'd seen one done on the cover of a quilt magazine several years ago made by Helen Weinman from Heartbeat Quilts, so now I just need to finish some UFO's and quilts for family so I can make MY OWN QUILT. LOL. Personally, I love the feel of them, but I would definitely prewash them before using, just to be safe, although to tell you the truth, I have had some quilting cotton fabrics run more than batiks.

nena 09-02-2013 12:15 PM

I'm just starting a "Jewel box" quilt with Batiks. Like you, I have had them for awhile and could not decide what to make. My first time using Batiks. Hope it turns out Ok.

captlynhall 09-02-2013 05:34 PM

I plan to do a stained glass quilt in the future and plan to use all batiks.

rhondabailey 09-02-2013 07:08 PM

I love the Shadowbox quilt. Where can I get the pattern for the quilt you showed?

Lynette-Merlin 09-03-2013 02:47 AM

Where can I find details of making a Shadowbox quilt? Thank you for any information.

dove 09-03-2013 03:26 AM

omgosh...I rarely don't use batiks!...they are so beautiful and rich in color...I never wash in anything but cold water, I use shout color catchers during the first two washes, and I only dry on delicate or light cycle...hope you given them a chance :-)