Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batik backing for batik quilt top? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batik-backing-batik-quilt-top-t141408.html)

Dee Dee 07-30-2011 11:46 AM

If you are making a quilt top with all batik fabrics, Is it important to also use a batik backing, or will other cotton fabric do as well? My LQS sells batik backing fabric for $17.98. Ouch! I don't blame her, I'm sure her prices are quite high. But if I can use other regular good cotton LQS fabric, it sure would be a cost savings.

dakotamaid 07-30-2011 11:47 AM

Do whatever looks good to you. :)

sahm4605 07-30-2011 11:48 AM

You don't have to and u can also do a pieced backing either with the same fabric or with some of the fabrics on the top and then a backing. It really is up to you. I like to piece my backing. But that is me.

merrylouw 07-30-2011 11:52 AM

Since it's your quilt, you can do anything you're happy with! No quilt police here.

If you really want batik for the backing, there are a lot of online shops that sell it for a lot less than your LQS. Or is that price for 108" wide fabric?

Dee Dee 07-30-2011 12:00 PM

Oh! precious picture of the baby!!!

It is their 108" I think I can find some regular 108" fabric that will look good with it. I've been told to not mix Batik and regular cotton on the quilt top. Just wanted to know if there's any reason to not use regular cotton on the back.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by merrylouw
Since it's your quilt, you can do anything you're happy with! No quilt police here.

If you really want batik for the backing, there are a lot of online shops that sell it for a lot less than your LQS. Or is that price for 108" wide fabric?

amma 07-30-2011 12:10 PM

I mix batiks with quilting cottons all of the time, without any problems :D:D:D

Dee Dee 07-30-2011 12:15 PM

Well Yea! I'm glad to hear that. That opens a lot more options.

Originally Posted by amma

charismah 07-30-2011 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dee Dee

I do too! Who said you can't??

Why wouldn't you be able to?

I use whatever color suits my quilt best...if it is a regular peice...fine..if it is batik fine...I have never had a problem..we wash our quilts all the time. I would just say to put color cachers or retayne in the first wash...after that...no problems. The batik tends to soften up after about 2-3 washes...in my experience.

Dina 07-30-2011 12:33 PM

I mix batik with regular cotton fabric too. Never thought about not doing it...
Works fine for me.

Dee Dee 07-30-2011 12:37 PM

Thanks for the info. The LQS ladies told me to not mix batik and regular cotton in a quilt top. They said the texture is different and would not stretch and shrink the same when washed. Today they told me I need Batik backing for a batiq quilt top -- they didn't explain that one.

Originally Posted by charismah

Originally Posted by Dee Dee

I do too! Who said you can't??

Why wouldn't you be able to?

I use whatever color suits my quilt best...if it is a regular peice...fine..if it is batik fine...I have never had a problem..we wash our quilts all the time. I would just say to put color cachers or retayne in the first wash...after that...no problems. The batik tends to soften up after about 2-3 washes...in my experience.