Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batik Charm Squares (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batik-charm-squares-t185812.html)

Favorite Fabrics 04-12-2012 11:30 AM

Batik Charm Squares

Just wondering (it's my stupid question of the day)... is there any point to charm packs of batiks?

I understand the appeal of charm packs of prints. Particularly smaller scale prints.

But with batiks, the color in one 5" section of fabric probably does not capture the essence of the fabric.

What do you think?

SueSew 04-12-2012 11:54 AM

I just did a table runner from a pattern which was all for charm packs - cute little prints with a bias check binding - but I did it in batiks (I had to pick a fabric from the place where I take the classes and I didn't like their charm selection in prints...).

I have to say that the Mango Tonga treats package I used was pretty but there was a lack of variety once done. Solids with depth, sort of.

It was my first time working with charms, and it was irritating to find that they were not all correct in size. Fortunately it didn't matter because they all had to get recut to 4 -plus-a-fraction anyway. Net net, the only reason to buy charms was that 1/8 yard is only 4" so I got the benefit of not having a lot of extra material.

peaceandjoy 04-12-2012 11:55 AM

I've specifically looked for batik charm packs more than once - they can be hard to find! I'm a scrap quilt lover, so like the variety. The specific reason I was looking recently is that I want to do a few Lil Twister table toppers. The Lil Twister is so popular right now, I thought they'd be easy to locate. Not so!

feline fanatic 04-12-2012 12:06 PM

Not for me but I never buy precuts anyway. My minimum size is 1 yard. I learned the hard way when I would by FQ that I always wished I had more when I finally cut into it.

Pat625 04-12-2012 12:11 PM

FYI- I have been ordering precut squares from [email protected]. I have COPD, and standing for long periods cutting is difficult. I wanted almost 200 5" and 300 2 inch squares. Her price was fantastic!! So worth it for me. She has nice prints too.

QuiltingCrazie 04-12-2012 12:12 PM

I love them, I buy them so I can see the fabrics and my daughters love to sew them together. Great for kids and small projects!!!

Lori S 04-12-2012 01:56 PM

I'm not a charm pack kinda gal... even less inclined to buy batiks that way. There are some really dud batiks and I would think it would be hard to display what the charm pack contains. That is the same issue I have with Jelly rools of batiks , you really don't get a good look at the contents , even less with a charm pack ... because typically on line retailers don't show the what in it. I was really interested in a Moda charm pack once ... had to go to 10 different sites to get a real picture of the contents.
But the other side of that coin is that I have seen so many struggle trying to put together more than a few batiks , that pre-grouped fabrics are popular for that reason. So the other side of me says that if you have a market for charm squares in general , there would be a market for batik charm squares.

Hemlock Tea 04-12-2012 02:21 PM

I am doing a quilt in tonga treats batiks charm packs in the gelato colorway, I did HST's with solid white, and arranging them in a diamond pattern. The patterns are small enough scale, I think it looks fabulous. If I can get a good picture, I'll post it later, the lighting is kind of bad right now.

sharon b 04-12-2012 02:55 PM

I think it would depend on the pattern on the Batik- a lot of them the design is bigger so with a charm you are not getting enough of it or you are cutting the design- I do buy charms but would have to think about buying a Batik charm pack - I do see where the strips catch the essence , so maybe once I saw what it looked like when cut ?

Dolphyngyrl 04-12-2012 03:34 PM

I think it depends on how small the design is on the batik and how variable the color range is in one fabric where you cut it in one spot and another they look completely different.