Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batik fabric hard to sew through! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batik-fabric-hard-sew-through-t188910.html)

Prism99 05-14-2012 08:59 AM

I have used lots of batiks, never pre-washed, and never had a problem sewing them on my Bernina. I believe batiks are made with a different weave of cotton than other quilting cottons -- more threads per inch. For this reason, I think they may be harder to hand quilt. I just have had no problems at all with machine piecing and machine quilting batiks.

Claire Humphries 05-14-2012 10:54 AM

Went to a talk by Tracy perrara last week she is a long arm quilter and recommended washing batiks at least twice before using them to get the wax out of them as this is the problem hope this helps for next time!

nativetexan 05-14-2012 01:54 PM

Yes i've used BAtiks before without much trouble. these fabrics were lovely but very tightly woven. I used a 14 quilt needle and changed to a sharp 10 one. better but after awhile it began to have trouble too. yes, my throat plate allows zig zag, so the fabric can go down in there. I don't have a small hole plate for straight stitch. Perhaps I should see about finding one. and yes i did wash my fabrics.

Dolphyngyrl 05-14-2012 08:21 PM

Never had a problem with batiks, just use sharp size 11 quilting needle and stitches nicely on my brother and babylock machines. I don't prewash, so that shouldn't be an issue either. It has to be some simple machine problem not the fabric. is everything cleaned and threaded properly because sewing batiks shouldn't be any harder than sewing on regular quilters cotton

quiltstringz 05-14-2012 08:58 PM

I sew with batiks all of the time and have never had an issue on either my Bernina, Pfaff or Brother machines. I do normally use a 75 Quilting needle. I have several friends with all kinds of machines and using different needles that use batiks and they have not had any issues. I love them

Bluelady 05-14-2012 09:12 PM

I used to have a problem untl I switched to single hole plate and "sharp" needle. Now they go through fine! (and I rarely pre-wash)

QuiltingCrazie 05-14-2012 10:16 PM

Just an off the wall question....where did you buy them? I have made shirts for my girls out of batiks for a picture and I just finished a table topper and I hand quilted it. I never prewash I haven't ever had issues and I use cheap brother machines (not cheap as in crap but alot cheaper then most machines in price). Maybe it's the batch of fabric you bought. I think they are hard to sew because they have no give but my girls love them so I make quilts and projects for them with them. Never a problem with the needle though

Dodie 05-15-2012 04:56 AM

maybe prewashing is the secret I had a batik kit so did not prewash and it was the most miserable stuff I ever worked with also I don't know how many needles I used but I decided no more batiks for me I will stick to lovely soft fabrics with all of their beatiful designs

hoppa 05-15-2012 05:03 AM

I have sewn batiks and never had a problem. I always use a shmetz quilting needle.

barney 05-15-2012 05:11 AM

The only thing I have found with batiks is my Brother420 sews normally very quiet, but with batiks sounds like a thrashing machine. However no problems otherwise.