Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   batik question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batik-question-t108686.html)

Cheshire Cat 03-18-2011 11:36 AM

I can't tell the front from the back. Does it matter?

Sadiemae 03-18-2011 11:39 AM

I choose the side that I think is prettier.

ckcowl 03-18-2011 11:41 AM

no, it does not matter---with any fabric. i pay for both sides and use both sides. with batik's use the side you like best. if you get up close and personal to a 'water-color' quilt you will find the people who make those type quilts use the back of some fabrics because they want a more muted print. (i don't believe in a wrong-side)it's ok to use your fabric any way it works for you and every fabric i have has 2 sides...both are right sides

jodimarie 03-18-2011 11:44 AM

Batiks are the BEST fabrics for using either side...in fact, some of my favorite Batiks have a better backside than frontside!! I've also been known to turn a regular cotten calico inside out to get that certain special color!!

I think most people would be surprised to see what is on the backside of their fabrics...try it, you might just find somthing very special!!

jodi

melodyr 03-18-2011 12:14 PM

Yep, I use both sides, depending on the tone I need.

wanderingcreek 03-18-2011 12:15 PM

It really doesn't matter which side you use. It all depends on which side you like best or which gives you the look you want. I use both sides and have used the back side of regularr cottons too. It just depends on what look I want from the fabric.

cathyvv 03-18-2011 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by inemmausinn
I can't tell the front from the back. Does it matter?

I have the same problem. Decided I couldn't worry about it or I'd never get anything made from batiks.

I don't reallly like working with batiks because I have some color issues, but my nephew asked for a quilt in red, blue, green, yellow, purple...the list goes on. So I decided a batik jelly roll or two was the answer. Not sure I will work with batiks again, as the color decisions (even with co-ordinated jelly rolls) are just too much work! But I'm sure he will be delighted with the results.

Dina 03-18-2011 12:34 PM

I was just reading a book about batiks, Batik Beauties, and this was one of the first things the author said...that either side was the right side, it just depended what worked best with your project.

I was pretty glad to read that, as I had always wondered how to tell which side was the right side.

hperttula123 03-18-2011 12:37 PM

Batiks are great for that. Either side is fine.

milp04 03-18-2011 12:43 PM

In many cases it doesn't matter. Many quilters will use one or the other and/or both depending on the batik.

IF it is important to you in your quilting project to have the front side, then make sure to check the selvage edges. Also as you cut your fabric be sure to mark the front from the back on your pieces and be careful as you're working with them.

Pam M