Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batik (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batik-t59434.html)

Fancy Nancy 08-14-2010 08:07 PM

Is there any special way to sew quilts with batik that is different than cotton? Someone told me that you have to use a different type needle. I recently was given some pieces of batik and want to know more about it before I start trying to make a quilt with it.

Sadiemae 08-14-2010 08:16 PM

I don't use a different needle, but I will watch and see what everyone has to say...

spinnergs 08-14-2010 08:29 PM

The biggest difference I have found is that batik fabric has more hand to it. It is great for machine quilting but can be very hard to hand quilt. The batik type fabric I dye myself has a much softer hand, but I dont use a wax like in true batik processing.

Fancy Nancy 08-14-2010 08:30 PM

also forgot to ask if any special washing instructions for batik

spinnergs 08-14-2010 09:25 PM

I always prewash with like colors or by itself. There is always a chance that extra dye will come out. They make color blockers but cant remember the name of them.

lalaland 08-14-2010 10:18 PM

Wash it using Color Catcher, you can find it in the grocery store with the detergents. There are a couple of brands, both work, Color Catcher is the one I use. It will catch all the "bleeding" from your batiks. I use one every time I wash new fabrics regardless of what they are.

ckcowl 08-15-2010 03:44 AM

batik fabrics just tend to be dyed with a tighter weave fabric than alot of regular quilting cotton; it is still just cotton...if you are hand stitching you may want to use a skinny sharp needle, it is more difficult to hand stitch because of the tighter weave; machine piecing any sharp or universal needle will work just fine. really the only things to worry about using batiks is fabric bleeding (always pre-wash) and sometimes fusables don't like to work on them, if using fusables try small piece first...something about the wax and the fusable... not always the outcome you want. but sewing...sew away. people seem to think there is some big difference in batiks, but really there is not that much; color runs, tighter weave, and waxy finish; thats it. you can use them in any project with great results. they mix great with pretty much anything you want to use them with. It is just like using a good quality sheet for a backing. a little harder to stitch through (hand stitching) but other than that just fine

mom-6 08-15-2010 03:46 AM

I don't treat batiks any differently than any other fabric. I really like the way they feel and just are easy to work with all the way around.

ClairVoyantQuilter 08-15-2010 03:58 AM

Because of the much tighter weave . . .many find switching to a larger sharp needle or topstitch/embroidery needle works better. Might also need to slightly loosen thread tension as well. Everyone's machine is different and machines vary even amongst the same model. Even if your machine handles the batik without a problem, you'll notice a marked difference if you have to hand sew at some point.

littlehud 08-15-2010 09:36 AM

I sew it just like my other cotton fabrics. Works for me.