Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batiks and curved seams?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batiks-curved-seams-t218246.html)

irishrose 04-04-2013 01:20 PM

Batiks and curved seams??

I want to make a wallhanging with either an uneven Log Cabin or a Drunkard's Path. I have quilting cottons in the colors I need, but I like the looks of batiks for the DP. Will the fact that batiks are less forgiving make easing in the curved seams more difficult?

seamstome 04-04-2013 01:27 PM

No
but I need to add alot of additional letters because otherwise I cannot answer your simple questiondklsfja'lsdjk;laijsdfhperiugh;akjdfhier['goihr'gliahsdf'lijqaea'lidjg'aoijreg'qeiuja'oierj g'aoierjg'oaiejrg'oiajrego'ijera;eorigja;irhg;aihr gioahreohgo'iahregoirahgoiaher'oga'oerihg'oiaerhg' oisaergio'ha'eoirgh'aoierhg'oiaehrgio'aher'oigha'e origh'oar'oiaqheqa'eriohoaerhoaerhiheroqa'eoi

ghostrider 04-04-2013 01:31 PM

I'm not sure why you refer to batiks as "less forgiving", but I've found that, because of the tighter weave, curves are actually much easier with batiks than with standard quilting cottons. You get a smoother curve, and with less effort, because there are many more threads closer together.

QuiltnNan 04-04-2013 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by seamstome (Post 5978062)
No
but I need to add alot of additional letters because otherwise I cannot answer your simple questiondklsfja'lsdjk;laijsdfhperiugh;akjdfhier['goihr'gliahsdf'lijqaea'lidjg'aoijreg'qeiuja'oierj g'aoierjg'oaiejrg'oiajrego'ijera;eorigja;irhg;aihr gioahreohgo'iahregoirahgoiaher'oga'oerihg'oiaerhg' oisaergio'ha'eoirgh'aoierhg'oiaehrgio'aher'oigha'e origh'oar'oiaqheqa'eriohoaerhoaerhiheroqa'eoi

your response only needs to be 10 characters long to post

ube quilting 04-04-2013 02:13 PM

I have found that batiks and curved piecing go great together. Try it and like it!
peace

irishrose 04-04-2013 02:15 PM

Thank you, everyone. Now to decide on a size and make a sample. ghostrider, I said less forgiving because with the higher thread count and repeated rinses, the fabric is firmer and I didn't know how it would ease in. I've set in hundreds of sleeves so I'm not anticipating any difficulty.

I think I will do the batiks first then the uneven LC. No reason I can't have two wallhangings and rotate them.

toolazy 04-04-2013 02:15 PM

Yeah, if they're the yummy very tightly woven batiks, you'll love curves! Where you need to clip, you may not even need to stay-stitch (altho you probably should; I really am lazy); you can get right down to the seamline and your clip won't extend itself.

nygal 04-04-2013 02:29 PM

I love working with Batiks. Give it a try.

knlsmith 04-04-2013 02:33 PM

I think almost all of the Judy Neimeyer quilts are batik, and a lot of them have curved seams. I have 4 or 5 patterns (2 with fabric bought ) waiting for me. On is Bali Fever and is like a New York Beauty.

mic-pa 04-04-2013 02:49 PM

I made a Drundards Path with Batiks and it worked just fine for me