Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   batt for soft wall hanging (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batt-soft-wall-hanging-t309011.html)

charlottequilts 01-05-2020 12:41 PM

batt for soft wall hanging

Trying this a second time (and hoping that both threads don't suddenly appear.)

I have done a board search on wall hanging batts, but still could use some expert advice from the board.

I have 6 orphan blocks (HSTs with Aunt Graces) and want to add sashing, etc, to make a wall hanging for my FIL's door. He lives in a retirement community, in his own apartment. The fabrics were soft before washing and now are even more so.

Felt from a bolt and fusible fleece were suggested; would those work just behind the top to beef it up? Could these be washed? (not even sure washing is necessary for a WH.)

I am leery about starching and hanging the blocks now, as they could droop out of shape.

We are going to be rolling past a JoAnn soon and I could get something if I only knew what. DH will deliver the project via plane, so it will likely be folded or rolled in transit.

thank you,
charlotte

greensleeves 01-05-2020 01:02 PM

I would stay away from felt since it does not do well with washing. Fusible fleece would be fine or any fairly flat batting.

BonnieJP 01-05-2020 01:32 PM

I have used cotton or wool quilt batting in the wall hangings I made with no problem. The cotton looks flatter. The wool has a nice "puffiness" to it that enhances the quilting.

Tartan 01-05-2020 01:40 PM

I use 80/20 quilt batt for almost everything, wall hangings, placemats, table runners and quilts. I would use the batt and then do a little stitch in the ditch to hold it all stable.

AprilM 01-05-2020 02:37 PM

I have used 80/20 fusible battings on wallhangings with great results. Since it (probably) wont be washed the fusible will give it a little extra “structure” until such time as the wallhanging might need washing. Will make it a little easier for you to quilt as well.

dunster 01-05-2020 05:37 PM

I like poly batts for wall hangings. It doesn't show creases after folding.

Rhonda K 01-06-2020 04:57 AM

I use 80/20 for most projects. It holds up well for wall-hangings, placemats, etc.

The Quilted Cottage 01-06-2020 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 8348049)
I like poly batts for wall hangings. It doesn't show creases after folding.

I do too. Recently I tried the Pellon 50/50 and it doesn't seem to crease. And I really enjoyed using it for frmq. I used a poly thread in the top and bobbin, too, and loved how clean my machine stayed. Not sure about washing it, because I rarely wash a wallhanging. I will have to make a small sample and see how it washes and dries.

toverly 01-06-2020 11:41 AM

My FIL lives in a retirement home also and is a huge Steelers fan. I made a wallhanging for his door and simply put a sleeve on it and hung it will a dowel from cording. There was a hook in the center of the door already. It kept hanging crooked so I simply stuck velcro circles to the bottom of the hanging and on the door.

charlottequilts 01-06-2020 03:25 PM

Thanks so much for your help. Is there a brand at Joann that is 80/20 fusible?

I do like the fusible idea, but if I can't find one, I will go for the Pellon.

And, Toverly, I do have some velcro circles! Thanks for the idea.

hugs,
Charlotte