Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batt worthy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batt-worthy-t318861.html)

Tartan 08-06-2022 07:35 PM

Batt worthy?

I have been evaluating my love of new quilt patterns and asking myself are they batt worthy. I try to watch for batt sales but the price keeps going up. I will still buy batts when needed but I am going to be a lot more choosy with new projects.

Quiltwoman44 08-07-2022 05:42 AM

it is getting difficult out there to afford quilting. or most anything. choose wisely! but enjoy.

toverly 08-07-2022 05:45 AM

You are so right. I frequently look at patterns and think, no, I don't want to make a big quilt out of that. Prices are on the rise all around, Lately I have been watching a Youtuber called Patchwork Facil and working on her blocks. Just one block to see if I can do it. In the end, I might make an odd block quilt. Totally scrappy.

Onebyone 08-07-2022 06:16 AM

Even on sale the prices are more then what I would consider regular price! If I see a good buy on batting I buy it. I have a bolt of Pellon natural cotton 96 x 9 yards I bought for $14.97 on sale at Walmart last November. It is now $53.12 on sale. It changed that much in less then a year.

annievee 08-07-2022 07:18 AM

Good idea to check WalMart for pricing --I saved 1/2 price a month ago.

dunster 08-07-2022 07:53 AM

You do have to check around to get a good price on batting. I only buy it online, usually Amazon and sometimes Walmart, but I check other sources too. Prices per yard for batting are still so much lower than quilting fabric. I have a good supply of several types, but I check periodically for good buys, and if I find a really good buy I jump on it.

quiltsfor 08-07-2022 09:38 AM

I either (sometimes) buy my batting by the size at Wal-mart when I find it cheaper there. But, I also buy large rolls of batting from Joann's when I can use the 50% off coupon for it. I only buy Warm and Natural (which by the way the 90" x 40 yards roll is on sale right now) or Warm and White by the Warm Company. It costs out of pocket for a large roll all at once, but saves me a lot on the other end (instead of buying the batting packets by quilt size)

Onebyone 08-08-2022 07:11 AM

I usually pick up a pre cut batting of Warm and Natural at Walmart every few shopping trips. I have a nice supply of those. I dread having to cut wide batting folded on a bolt. I always make a mess of it. LOL I do 95% my own quilting so I save enough to buy the batting but it's still expensive.

aashley333 08-08-2022 08:04 AM

I use the JA "40% any one item" to buy a roll online.

Barb2018 08-08-2022 08:57 AM

When my local quilt shop shut it's doors about three years ago, they had a huge sale. I bought about 20 packages of batting in different sizes. I haven't bought any since, but I looked while I was at Joann's last week and was shocked. Unless I need a wool or bamboo batting, I'm all set for a while. I also save the scraps and now I'm using them by making coasters and placemats.