Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Battery Operated Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/battery-operated-sewing-machine-t111435.html)

Enchanted Quilter 03-28-2011 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
LOL we camp at a rustic campground generators are my pet peeve! Breaks up the sound of nature. No offense meant!

Where we camp there is no electric usual about 6 dif groups all together we only turn them on late in the evening to charge up our batteries in the trailer thats when 3 us sew.

TonnieLoree 03-28-2011 11:26 AM

I camp best at a Holiday Inn

Up North 03-28-2011 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Enchanted Quilter

LOL we camp at a rustic campground generators are my pet peeve! Breaks up the sound of nature. No offense meant!

Where we camp there is no electric usual about 6 dif groups all together we only turn them on late in the evening to charge up our batteries in the trailer thats when 3 us sew.

I would rather mid day for generators as kids are getting put to bed in the evening Now where we camp it is very rustic no indoor plumbing and a lot of tents Vs campers so it may be different where you go. I still mean no offense I complain to myself only once did I mention it to a generator user He laughed but turned it off for the time being

darlin121 03-28-2011 11:46 AM

I'm feeling the same way there!

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
I camp best at a Holiday Inn

Enchanted Quilter 03-28-2011 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Enchanted Quilter

I would rather mid day for generators as kids are getting put to bed in the evening Now where we camp it is very rustic no indoor plumbing and a lot of tents Vs campers so it may be different where you go. I still mean no offense I complain to myself only once did I mention it to a generator user He laughed but turned it off for the time being

I didn't take offense we try real hard to work around everyone we just go to have a good time and be with everyone. We have been doing this for many Yrs . If my Dad & mom go this yr 2 the reunion it is on 4th July it will be his 46th yr he is 93 & my mom is 83. They started this yrs ago w/ all Family. Hope yopu have a Great Time . I know we will.

JT 03-28-2011 09:02 PM

Try some hand applique.

Aurora 03-29-2011 02:26 AM

I bought an old Singer portable to convert to a handcrank, so I can use it outside when it is just too nice to stay inside.

DesiG 03-29-2011 03:02 AM

My idea of camping is in a 35' camper with a 10' x 20' covered porch attached to it. Have my own queen sized bed, a full bathroom and a full kitchen. I even have a sewing machine (singer 221) and spinning wheel (little gem by majacraft) just for the camper! I love nature, but on my terms :-)
Camping season coming soon, can't wait!

watterstide 03-29-2011 03:15 AM

your better off trying to get a machine on freecycle in your area,or at a garage sale.
i would not bother with a battery operated machine. i bought one for my friends kid..and it was junk.

if you could afford to buy a machine for travel, get a janome "sewest- 509. They run between $99- $169" .
or look for a machine at walmart.

i take my sewing mchine with me whenever i go camping!

grann of 6 03-29-2011 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by yolanda
PS.. of all places this board is where i thought for sure i'd find someone whos' thought of this or who could give me suggestions - i am taking the silence to suggest i do need some help ... :-) "Hi my name is Yolanda and I am addicted to making quilts..." ;-)

I think (but I'm not sure) they only do a chain stitch. It would put a lot of bulk on the back of the fabric and also would not be very strong. I have an old hand crank Singer that was the first portable sewing machine made. You should see if you could find one of those hanging around on e bay or somewhere. I tell my DDIL that she can take it camping with her. (She DOES NOT sew!) I also think you would have to take a truckload of batteries with you.