Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting alternatives (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-alternatives-t86811.html)

JanTx 01-01-2011 02:03 PM

My grandmother mainly used old blankets for the batting of her quilts. Knowing that I started shopping in my linen closet. One of the things I found was an old matteress cover - full or queen sized - elastic around most of it. If I cut the elastic off I have quite a large piece. Thoughts on using this for the batting of some largish lap quilts?

Fabaddict 01-01-2011 02:04 PM

go for it - will make a nice warm quilt

MaryStoaks 01-01-2011 02:07 PM

I made one with a matress pad for batting. I worked great, nice and warm but a little heavy. My oldest son loves it.

Ramona Byrd 01-01-2011 02:13 PM

Yes, use it. I love quilts but probably because of my back hills raising, I am more comfortable with a warm, heavy quilt. A mattress pad works nicely that way. And it's probably already been washed a few times so no shrinkage.

dixiebelle162002 01-01-2011 02:16 PM

Go for it. Quilting use to be about using what you had.

kbonafede 01-01-2011 02:19 PM

I have an opinion -- it's only an opinion -- so throw my opinion away if you want. The mattress pad will work for a simple quilt which does not have hours and hours of work, and you have not invested in pricey fabrics to make a beautiful quilt top. If the quilt is utilitarian in nature, and will be drug through dirt or sand on a beach, or grass stained in the park -- yes, go for it. Use the mattress pad for the batting. And it will service you for years! But...but...if you are investing in making a thing of beauty with gorgeously chosen fabrics, and skill in piecing, and it can possibly become a family heirloom....draw the line here. Don't use the mattress pad instead of batting at this point, and cheapen your project. So, the question is really: "What is the purpose of the quilt?" That's just an opinion.

quiltin chris 01-01-2011 02:19 PM

i recycled a mattress pad and made an emergency blanket for my car. Just cut off what I didn't want and sandwiched the blanket.

got a chance to practice machine quilting too.

that blanket is nice and warm.

Happy New Year!!!

chris

leatheflea 01-01-2011 02:44 PM

Use what you got, thats the name of the game.

amma 01-01-2011 02:45 PM

Go for it :D:D:D

Scissor Queen 01-01-2011 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by kbonafede
I have an opinion -- it's only an opinion -- so throw my opinion away if you want. The mattress pad will work for a simple quilt which does not have hours and hours of work, and you have not invested in pricey fabrics to make a beautiful quilt top. If the quilt is utilitarian in nature, and will be drug through dirt or sand on a beach, or grass stained in the park -- yes, go for it. Use the mattress pad for the batting. And it will service you for years! But...but...if you are investing in making a thing of beauty with gorgeously chosen fabrics, and skill in piecing, and it can possibly become a family heirloom....draw the line here. Don't use the mattress pad instead of batting at this point, and cheapen your project. So, the question is really: "What is the purpose of the quilt?" That's just an opinion.

I agree. If it was a quilt I planned on throwing in the back of the car for picnicing or an emergency quilt I would consider it. But not for something that I spent a whole lot of money on the fabric and a whole lot of time making.

I would be more likely to use a good wool blanket for batting than a mattress pad.