Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which batting for a baby quilt??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-baby-quilt-t179438.html)

JaneH 02-15-2012 04:33 AM

Which batting for a baby quilt???

I'm attempting a baby quilt for a soon-to-be-born grandson. I'm using a panel and planning to stitch around the characters to make them stand out. The panel is about 36" wide. I don't want the quilt to be too thick but yet thick enough to be nice and "cushy", if you know what I mean.

Which type of batting is best for a baby quilt? I'd imagine it will get washed fairly regularly in the washing machine (my daughter doesn't handwash ANYthing), so will have to be washable.

Thanks for any advice...this will be my first quilt.

RV Quilter 02-15-2012 05:06 AM

I love the Dream Green low loft. It is soft, not bulky and quilts beautifully. I recently used it in two baby quilts.

Kat Sews 02-15-2012 05:20 AM

I used bonded poly batting in my grandson's quilt. Almost 7 years and many machine washes later it is still soft and cushy.

DebbE 02-15-2012 05:27 AM

I love Warm and Natural -- it quilts beautifully, and when finished & washed, has that wonderful 'old quilt' feel to the piece. Have made many dozens of baby quilts using it. I don't use poly batting as it doesn't 'meld' (for lack of a better word) to the fabrics used to make the quilts. Be sure and quilt as the package directions say, as you don't want your batting bunching up after lots of washing because you didn't quilt it close enough. Babies love quilts!

Drue 02-15-2012 06:16 AM

My favs are "Warm and Natural" and Hobbs 80/20. Works well for me and wash well.

SUZAG 02-15-2012 06:25 AM

I used warm and natural on a flannel baby quilt and it is so heavy (weight) that I am waiting to give it to her until she is older...if used as a cover, it would be too heavy on her chest IMHO...

Jingle 02-15-2012 07:37 AM

I use poly batting for all my quilts, warm without the weight.

GrannieAnnie 02-15-2012 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by JaneH (Post 4976620)
I'm attempting a baby quilt for a soon-to-be-born grandson. I'm using a panel and planning to stitch around the characters to make them stand out. The panel is about 36" wide. I don't want the quilt to be too thick but yet thick enough to be nice and "cushy", if you know what I mean.

Which type of batting is best for a baby quilt? I'd imagine it will get washed fairly regularly in the washing machine (my daughter doesn't handwash ANYthing), so will have to be washable.

Thanks for any advice...this will be my first quilt.

The baby quilt on my table right this instant is using a good quality mattress topper that I got at a rummage sale for next to nothing. (I'm cheap!)

mim 02-15-2012 10:31 AM

I always use a poly batting for baby quits because it is not allergenic -- even cotton batting can shed dust. I learned when my son had terrible asthma and I could use only non-natural materials. Even for sheets. I do use regular cottons for my fabrics though.

Mim

LadyElisabeth 02-15-2012 10:51 AM

I am prejudiced. I always use COTTON batting. Summers when I was in high school I fought fires. I want NO ONE to experience a fire but poly batting MELTS. My son and family survived a house fire and my 3 month old granddaughter was wrapped in a COTTON quilt to escape.
Warm and White batting is very light.
Just my 2 cents worth.