Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting for a baby quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-baby-quilt-t208476.html)

Maggieloe 12-14-2012 10:56 PM

Batting for a baby quilt?

I normally use cotton or wool batting. But I will be making my first crib quilt for my niece's baby due in Feb. I've been thinking that maybe polyester is best as it would wash - and dry - more easily. How do you all feel about this? Does it make that much difference? Many thanks.

noveltyjunkie 12-14-2012 11:04 PM

Personally? I would have concerns about baby overheating under polyester. Cotton is plenty washable and driable, especially a small piece.

ckcowl 12-15-2012 01:59 AM

i use poly batts often for kids (utility) quilts- the drag around, play on, take a beating quilts- they hold up well & last
for baby quilts i generally use cotton- it softens with age/use & makes for nice cozy quilts- wool washes up very nicely too- and is (fluffier) than cotton- which can be a nice choice

hopetoquilt 12-15-2012 04:08 AM

My sons daycare quilt was machine washed and dried every week and is still holding up well. I used cotton batting and it has been cleaned at least 100x. Cotton works great.

pumpkinpatchquilter 12-15-2012 04:46 AM

I find that poly beards and avoid it for quilts that are going to be washed a lot. That being said - a family member made my youngest daughter a quilt using poly batt and I washed it every couple of days - that was ten years ago. It's a little dingy from being old but it's still kickin'! (She also tied the quilt - I don't know how true this is but I get the idea that the more you quilt it the more opportunity it has to beard.)

DogHouseMom 12-15-2012 06:21 AM

For baby quilts I like to use a single layer of white or natural flannel as the batting. You can't see the quilting definition much but it's warm, holds up like all get out (cause it's a solid piece of woven fabric), and is so soft and supple - it easily wraps around a baby with no bulk or creases.

Sally J 12-15-2012 08:05 AM

One thing to consider, polyester batting is a risk if you consider a fire. It melts and would cause the child a possible hazard. I spoke to a doctor about this and he says that he would only use cotton. Just something to think about.
Also, I have made pet quilts and they get washed every week and I haven't had any problem with them holding up at all.

patchsamkim 12-15-2012 09:05 AM

I have used only cotton batting in the baby quilts that I have made....personally, I would much rather sleep under cotton than polyester batting....it breathes....and is so much more comfy to me.

AFQSinc 12-15-2012 09:09 AM

I use, exclusively, wool batting for baby quilts. It is breathable, lightweight, insulates well, i.e., warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I also think about fire situations as well. Also, the stitch definition is great with a wool batt. So if you do a little bit of quilting or alot of quilting it always looks great.

I use either Hobbs( or Tuscany; same product) or Quilters Dream Wool. I would stay away from non-commercial or off brand wool batts. There were some weeks where I washed my son's quilt every day. This was during the potty training days. Washed in the washer and put into the dryer. No adverse effects, whatsoever.

My second choice would be a cotton batting.

Maggieloe 12-15-2012 10:45 AM

Thank you all very much. Definitely going to pass on the polyester. Now, will it be cotton, wool or flannel. Seems like good ideas all around. Kind of leaning toward the cotton. Anyway, many thanks for your input.