Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting and backing size - question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-backing-size-question-t24186.html)

*QuilterWannabee* 08-14-2009 11:44 AM

How much bigger than my baby quilt top should I cut my batting and backing? Is there a standard for best results? Thanks!

Jim's Gem 08-14-2009 12:10 PM

Well, it is probably different if you are going to send to someone else to long arm quilt it, but I usually cut my batting and backing about 3 inches or so larger on all sides. Though sometimes for smaller quilts I think 2 inches is enough.

bearisgray 08-14-2009 12:14 PM

Are you sending it out or quilting it yourself?

I have gotten by with only an inch extra all around on the backing - but I was quilting it myself - and it was about 43 x 60

*QuilterWannabee* 08-14-2009 12:43 PM

Well, bearisgray, I would probably seek out an experienced quilter if I have it quilted. I am toying with the idea of tying it, it's a gift, and I do have a fear of it not coming out very attractive if I try it. It's gone fairly smooth so far, to my surprise, no ripping out or major machine malfunctions and some of my corners even lined up quite nicely. It's my first attempt at a quilt, so I am not expecting perfection, if I'm in the ballpark, I am happy.

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Are you sending it out or quilting it yourself?

I have gotten by with only an inch extra all around on the backing - but I was quilting it myself - and it was about 43 x 60

*QuilterWannabee* 08-14-2009 12:45 PM

Ok, thanks, taking all of this in : )

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Well, it is probably different if you are going to send to someone else to long arm quilt it, but I usually cut my batting and backing about 3 inches or so larger on all sides. Though sometimes for smaller quilts I think 2 inches is enough.

Donna Mae 08-16-2009 11:46 AM

I've had several friends that don't leave enough backing and batting around the quilt, and it will come up short and you have to add backing and batting, it doesn't look so great.

I always leave at least 3 inches of backing and batting all around the quilt.

Keep it rocking,

simple quilter

butterflywing 08-17-2009 07:42 PM

for the long arm, i like to leave 4" on the sides. that's for diddling around, like testing the tension, etc. i throw a piece of quilting cotton on the extra batt and backing and test away, tension and stitches. on the bottom and top i leave about 3" . on small quilts on my regular machine, i leave 2 - 3".

jackie might be able to help you.

*QuilterWannabee* 08-18-2009 06:39 AM

Thanks, Bfw, this is all very helpful!! Never would have thought to use that as the testing area, great idea.

Originally Posted by butterflywing
for the long arm, i like to leave 4" on the sides. that's for diddling around, like testing the tension, etc. i throw a piece of quilting cotton on the extra batt and backing and test away, tension and stitches. on the bottom and top i leave about 3" . on small quilts on my regular machine, i leave 2 - 3".

jackie might be able to help you.