Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting for child’s quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-child%92s-quilt-t306847.html)

oneteappot 09-12-2019 10:41 AM

Batting for child’s quilt

I am working on a couple of Grinch quilts for my grands. My question is what batting would you recommend? I usually use warm and natural, does it wash up good when washed many times?
Thanks.

bearisgray 09-12-2019 10:44 AM

Warm and Natural washes up beautifully.

Because I prefer the "flat as possible" look, I soaked my batting in hot water (no agitation) and then washed it in a short, gentle cycle with very little detergent and dried it "until barely dry".

Because I bought my batting when it first came out (20 or more years ago?), the "natural" color turned the water very yellow,

meyert 09-12-2019 02:08 PM

warm and natural is very nice batting. I don't know where you live or the children who will be receiving these quilts, but I really like warm and plush. Its a denser batting so its very warm... washes wonderfully

Austinite 09-12-2019 02:25 PM

i make lots of quilts and blankets for small humans and i swear by Soft & Bright poly, it washes up nicely and dries very quickly in the dryer. My mom is a hand quilter and she makes tons of baby and child/teen stuff and she swears by Warm & Natural. I did a quilt with Warm & Plush for a friend in Wisconsin, it came out great but it took forever in the dryer

The Quilted Cottage 09-12-2019 02:33 PM

Another vote for W&N. Even with close quilting (1-2" apart), the quilt remains soft after washing. I love Quilters Dream, too, but it's pricier and mostly use it for wallhangings/art quilts.

I've never used the warm & plush. Will have to try it.

NJ Quilter 09-12-2019 03:41 PM

I use W&N all the time in all of my quilts. Most have been hand quilted with no issues. I like a 100% cotton batting particularly on children's quilts. I also believe natural fibers (cotton/wool/silk) all remain very warm when needed and not so much when not as the natural fibers 'breathe' vs synthetic fibers. I use the same 2 100% cotton blanket and quilt on my bed year round with no issues beyond my 'personal summers', lol.

ka9sdn 09-12-2019 03:47 PM

I used W&N almost all the time. Wears and washes great. Buy it by the bolt when on sale, saves money and always there ready to go.

oneteappot 09-12-2019 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by ka9sdn (Post 8300860)
I used W&N almost all the time. Wears and washes great. Buy it by the bolt when on sale, saves money and always there ready to go.

Thanks everyone! We live in Ohio. northeastern area.
It is getting to be quilt weather. I am making the Grinch quilts as early Christmas presents, so will give the quilts to them at Thanksgiving.

juliasb 09-13-2019 03:21 AM

W&N is my prefered batting especially for childrens quilt. Easy to wash and dry. Not to heavy for a child not to be able to toss it off.

lindaschipper 09-13-2019 03:48 AM

Another vote for Warm and Natural. I use it in all my Project Linus quilts.