Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting delima (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-delima-t108633.html)

pattilynn 03-18-2011 08:25 AM

Good Morning Ladies & Gents;

I have a queston about batting. Has anyone ever used the batting that is fusible on both sides?<8) how does it compare to pinning or spray basting

donnajean 03-18-2011 08:27 AM

I used it when teaching beginners to quilt a potholder & they did not have a walking foot. I don't know that I would use it on a larger quilt.

oatw13 03-18-2011 08:30 AM

I used it on some place mats and I don't think I would use it on anything much larger. I had trouble keeping both sides taut. For me, I think spray basting is easier.

Up North 03-18-2011 08:30 AM

I hated it!! it was so stiff and I couldn't hand quilt through it maybe washed it would soften up but I didn't like it. I will stick to pinning or spray basting.

Ripped on Scotch 03-18-2011 08:41 AM

I just used it on a baby quilt... it was fine to quilt with. It was all that I had that was a big enough piece.

Shelbie 03-18-2011 09:16 AM

I didn't like it for large quilts as it was hard to get it perfectly smooth and adhered evenly on both sides. It's fine for smaller items such as wall hangings or bags. I also wondered how it will perform long term. Will it harden or weaken the fabric that it is stuck to? Will it give off fumes or bad smells as it ages or yellow the fabric? It is also much more expensive than regular batting. Perhaps I'm a bad one to ask as I don't like spray basting either and stick to needle and thread or pins.

scrapykate 03-18-2011 09:18 AM

I would be concerned when you washed it you wouldn't get the shrink and old puffy look. I love when the batting shrinks and the quilt looks abit puffy and older, but that's just me.

luvTooQuilt 03-18-2011 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
I didn't like it for large quilts as it was hard to get it perfectly smooth and adhered evenly on both sides. It's fine for smaller items such as wall hangings or bags. I also wondered how it will perform long term. Will it harden or weaken the fabric that it is stuck to? Will it give off fumes or bad smells as it ages or yellow the fabric? It is also much more expensive than regular batting. Perhaps I'm a bad one to ask as I don't like spray basting either and stick to needle and thread or pins.

I agree, smaller was better for me.. I used them for baby quilts.. I prefer the spray basting instead- its re positionable..

Tartan 03-18-2011 07:27 PM

I have used the Hobbs 80/20 fusible. I really like it but it is flatter than some batts. There are some issues but I prefer it to pinning. I machine quilted a twin bed size and it worked well. (no puckers) It feels really flat when ironed but did puff up a little when washed. You need a big surface to iron it on to get all the wrinkles out.(used the floor) I also re-ironed the back halfway through to smooth any extra fabric to the sides. Do not use steam because that removes the fusible.

Lori S 03-18-2011 07:33 PM

I thought it was a pain in the ....and did not hold well on large projects. Once I used spray basting I never looked back!