Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting for hand quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-hand-quilting-t235229.html)

Lynneander 11-21-2013 03:45 PM

Batting for hand quilting

I have been a hand quilter for quite a long time and have always used the same batting. Recently I have not been too pleased with the results and am wondering what others use and their pleasure or displeasure with the results. I would love any feedback on this!

Pat625 11-21-2013 04:16 PM

I have used all types of batting from all lofts of poly to warm and natural.I all depends on who the project is for, the amount left in my checking account and the ending warmth I am looking for. So far have not found any too difficult to work with. Are you using a good needle? I use John James with great success

lockesnest 11-21-2013 05:01 PM

I only hand quilt because I love the look. I use Quilter's Dream Request and a John James 11 needle. I baste my quilts and then lap quilt without a frame. That just is easier for me since I have some mobility issues with my hands.

Prism99 11-21-2013 05:11 PM

Lynneander, what batting is it that you no longer like so much?

For those who like cotton, the Quilter's Dream Select and Request cotton battings are much liked for hand quilting. They are needlepunched, so are very stable. The result is a typical vintage flat look.

If you like some loft, Hobbs 80/20 is easy to hand quilt.

Lynneander 11-21-2013 05:41 PM

I'm using the Hobbs 80/20. In reading the responses, it seems like perhaps I need to change from using Roxanne to John James to see if that makes the difference.

NJ Quilter 11-21-2013 08:10 PM

I hand quilt with Roxanne needles and warm & natural batting. Don't have an issue with either. Personally was not fond of the JJ needles. Much prefer the Roxanne's. Usually use #11's. Sometimes 10's; sometimes 12's. I know lots of folks think the w&n is difficult to needle through but I don't seem to have that issue. Find the quilts to be warm; flat; crinkly after washing.

stillclock 11-21-2013 10:19 PM

my favorite is hobbes wool. their heirloom cotton is nice too :)

i really only use piecemaker needles. i have lots of other ones but the piecemakers last forever, and they bend just a tiny bit with use which seems to suit my quilting style. eventually they break but it takes a while.

aileen

Petalpatsy 11-22-2013 12:27 AM

I use Quilter's Dream Request and Quilter's Dream Wool if I want bit more loft and fire retardence, especially on baby blankets. Gosh, don't get me started on Fine English needles made quick and cheap in China. All the English brands are made in China now, and then packaged in England. They are no longer the best needles by a long shot.

Bohin needles are Made in France and seems to be the same quality, but I had to go with 10s to get them threaded. the 12s just defeat me. I think I got them from some Ebay seller. Piecemakers are Made in Japan and are indeed okay, if not quite as slick or sharp as the Bohins, they still have quality plating and nicely polished eyes. I may note that my LQS only carries Piecemakers now, when she used to carry John James, Richard Hemmings, and S. Thomas & Sons.

ckcowl 11-22-2013 02:41 AM

all of the battings from the Dream company are very nice- needle beautifully- any are a nice choice for hand quilting- Hobbs wool is another 'fabulous' choice.

Kitsie 11-22-2013 09:34 AM

I find Quilter's dream Orient to be my favorite for both hand and machine.