Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting....Ignorance was bliss (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-ignorance-bliss-t40159.html)

miholmes 03-22-2010 09:53 AM

I should also preface my charity quilts with the following disclaimer. I make "Critter Quilts" to sell to raise money for my animal rescue. So they are basically quilted dog mats. Just simple 5inch square quilts that are stitched in the ditch. :) So I don't think the dogs will mind if it's cotton or not. :lol:

But like I said if it's on sale or a few buck more when I'm buying it I will most definitely get the cotton.

janice4 03-22-2010 10:00 AM

ah that makes sense then :)

mpspeedy 03-22-2010 10:39 AM

Hi, Having quilted for more than 40 years I have just about tried everything but wool and silk. When I first started poly was about the only thing available. I still have quilts I made with it. I find the cotton I like best, especially for handquilting is Dream Cotton, request. I love the drape and the ease of handquilting it. My next choice especially for price is Bamboo with a coupon. I have a friend who had a dealer discount on the Dream Cotton so I stocked up. There is also a local Menonitte Bernina Dealer who sells it at a very good price. For my personal quilts and those for any of my handquilting customers I will use the Dream Cotton.

Jo Mama 03-22-2010 11:09 AM

I love bamboo.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-22-2010 12:08 PM

I agree with you, I use warm and natural.

SHayes 03-22-2010 12:28 PM

I wait for a 40% off coupon for Hobby Lobby and buy the 90" wide Warm and Natural, 8 or 10 yards off the bolt. I love the way it looks in my quilts

HIBISCUS 03-23-2010 05:43 AM

At Quiltfest 2009 in Jacksonville, FL a couple years ago there was a presentation on the batting made from recycled plastic bottles. Has anybody used this and how did you like/dislike it? I can see already how blatantly honest everybody is with their opinions; I think this must be part of a quilter's ID-don't ask if you don't want our opinion!

Go, Quilt Team!

bob1414 03-23-2010 06:25 AM

I don't like synthetic "anything". I use natural and really do like the bamboo! Bamboo grows so fast and is environmentally friendly.

KarenBarnes 03-23-2010 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
That's what I use too. I love the warm & natural. If you are using light colors, use the warm & white. It makes your quilts look brighter. It's the same price too.

I'm waiting on it to go on sale here, I'm completely out of it.

Get on JoAnn's email list, they periodically send out coupons that are extra! I got one for this weekend that is an extra 20% off entire purchase!

Prism99 03-23-2010 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by bob1414
I don't like synthetic "anything". I use natural and really do like the bamboo! Bamboo grows so fast and is environmentally friendly.

I have read that the processing required to turn bamboo into batting is very toxic.