Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting issue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-issue-t118262.html)

valsma 04-23-2011 11:48 AM

I was wondering if there is a way to smooth batting before it is put in the "quilt sandwich." I am trying to put together the three layers of a quilt but the batting is kinda bunched or rippled in the middle of the quilt and no matter how much I hand smooth it the bulk will not smooth. Any suggestions short of using an iron on it. It's a lightweight polyester batting that came rolled in a bag. Thanks for any help.
Tammy

Lv2sew2011 04-23-2011 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by valsma
I was wondering if there is a way to smooth batting before it is put in the "quilt sandwich." I am trying to put together the three layers of a quilt but the batting is kinda bunched or rippled in the middle of the quilt and no matter how much I hand smooth it the bulk will no smooth. Any suggestions short of using an iron on it. It's a lightweight polyester batting that came rolled in a bag. Thanks for any help.
Tammy

I seen or read something somewhere where she/he ironed the batting, but I can't remember what kind of batting it was..hope you find your answer...

texas granny 04-23-2011 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by valsma
I was wondering if there is a way to smooth batting before it is put in the "quilt sandwich." I am trying to put together the three layers of a quilt but the batting is kinda bunched or rippled in the middle of the quilt and no matter how much I hand smooth it the bulk will not smooth. Any suggestions short of using an iron on it. It's a lightweight polyester batting that came rolled in a bag. Thanks for any help.
Tammy

Take you batting out of the package and let it rest a while you can also put it in your dryer on air if you have that .

erstan947 04-23-2011 11:54 AM

If you iron it use a cool iron. Don't want it to melt.

Maride 04-23-2011 11:59 AM

I put it in the dryer before making the sandwich, and iron the sandwich before pinning and as I quilt. Helps to keep the layers from shifting.

QuiltE 04-23-2011 12:10 PM

With it being poly ... the iron will melt it!

Open it up and let it air out .... lay flat overnight (on a bed? table? floor?). With some time it'll just poof back up.

auntmag 04-23-2011 12:58 PM

I put batting in the dryer on low heat with a wet washcloth for 20 minutes then take it out immediately when the dryer stops.

JulieR 04-23-2011 01:00 PM

Can you hang it over a banister or something, spritz with a little water and smooth with your hands? I'd leave it to air dry then, which should help as well.

dunster 04-23-2011 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by auntmag
I put batting in the dryer on low heat with a wet washcloth for 20 minutes then take it out immediately when the dryer stops.

This is what I do too, but I usually use cotton batting.

quilt1950 04-23-2011 04:33 PM

I put some in the dryer recently, and it increased the loft of the batting. I didnt like it, and started over with new batting.

Didn't I read a tip on the board recently to use a hair dryer on low heat? I was going to try that next time.