Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting Need help . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-need-help-t264693.html)

Dottie Bug 04-30-2015 07:51 PM

Batting Need help .

PLease ,, I have a nephew , that wants a double cotton batting in his quilt to make it warmer in the winter ,lives in panhandle. I have never done this before , is it hard to quilt through ?I have a 6300 janome in a table ,oh he wants a meandering pattern on a king quilt. DottieBug

ctrysass2012 04-30-2015 08:10 PM

Does he want it heavier? You could use a wool batting. I did for my sister-in-law & she said it was wonderful for warmth.

Dottie Bug 04-30-2015 09:42 PM

He ask for a heavy quilt , but I could ask if wool could be an option, will cost more but the to layers of cotton would cost x 2. thanks will call him to see if he could take wool. Thanks DottieBug

ckcowl 04-30-2015 11:05 PM

Wool battings are lightweight batts, they are lofty and wonderful , make lightweight, warm quilts. So, if he wants heavy you could make a flannel quilt for the extra weight. Coandnnecting Threads has good prices on battings and one wool batting is less expensive than two cotton ones. Cotton is heavier - but not as warm though.

ManiacQuilter2 05-01-2015 02:59 AM

You need to do a test sandwich to see if your machine can easily quilt thru two layers of batting. I have read on this board where some quilters have used a cotton and wool batting together. I have an older Bernina and would not stress my machine with two layers of batting. Good Luck!

silliness 05-01-2015 03:12 AM

I was also going to suggest cotton plus wool rather than two cotton battings. I think cotton plus cotton would be hard for the needle to stitch through the second layer. Plus, you would have to make sure you have both correct sides of the batting up. The texture of the wool would make it perfect for the second batting.

ShelleyCS 05-01-2015 03:29 AM

If he wants a very warm and heavier feeling quilt, you could use cotton top and flannel backing with wool batting.

PaperPrincess 05-01-2015 03:36 AM

I would also suggest the cotton plus wool. This is a common combination used by many show quilters. The sandwich would be: top, wool batt, cotton batt, backing. Wool is warmer than cotton, but lightweight and the wool/cotton combo would be easier to quilt thru and manhandle than a double cotton layer.
Another idea would be to use the newest warm company batting, Warm and Plush. It's about 1 & 1/2 the thickness of W&N, no scrim. I just used it on a quilt and liked it very much. You need to quilt 6" apart.

Buckeye Rose 05-01-2015 04:00 AM

I made utility quilts using a double layer of high loft poly batting with great success. The kids love em cause they are very warm, but lightweight. I quilted them myself on my Janome 6600, but just straightline diagonals.

EasyPeezy 05-01-2015 07:57 AM

You might consider quilting in section because a king size quilt will be very heavy
and bulky to handle. Good luck.