Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting or NO Batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-no-batting-t250424.html)

Rhonda 07-19-2014 11:53 AM

Batting or NO Batting?

I'm working on a couple of wall hangings and wondered if I need to use batting or just back it and quilt it down.

I usually use one thin layer of batting. So I'm wondering is it necessary? Will the WH not hang straight if it doesn't have that added weight in it?

Is it a matter of how it looks without batting or is it just a habit to put the batting in?

I just don't know if I should try it without batting or go with the flow and use the batting.
I know it's a subjective thing and most would say do whatever you want to.

I'd like your opinion as to would you do it without batting? Would you buy one that didn't have batting in it?

I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks! Rhonda

KwiltyKahy 07-19-2014 12:19 PM

IMHO batting is desirable. Just the added body should enhance the design, quilting. . . . .

busy fingers 07-19-2014 12:38 PM

What a timely question Rhonda. I am currently making a wall hanging and it never occurred to me to put batting in it!!!!!!
I thought that the interfacing that I ironed onto my drop of fabric would be enough "body".

I will watch this space with interest as I am about to put the backing on but will hold off.

nativetexan 07-19-2014 12:39 PM

I made one without batting and did some great quilting in the border which didn't show well at all due to no batting inside. I use 80/20 Hobbs Heirloom.

dunster 07-19-2014 01:05 PM

As others have said, batting does make the quilting show up better. And as a result I think it gives more depth to a wall hanging.

loisf 07-19-2014 01:07 PM

I think batting will give the extra weight you need for the wall hanging to hang properly. It will also enhance the quilting and give any light fabrics in the wall hanging a brighter look. I've used Thermore batting, which is made especially for quilted clothing, if I want a really thin batting - in a table runner, for instance.

Jeanne S 07-19-2014 01:09 PM

I think it is a matter of personal preference--either way will work. I would opt for light low loft batting for the 3 dimensional effect on a wall hanging.

Nammie to 7 07-19-2014 02:03 PM

I like the effect that batting gives to the pieces after quilting. But it is all a matter of personal preference.

PaperPrincess 07-19-2014 02:10 PM

I think that batting & quilting add a wonderful texture to wall hangings in addition to enhancing how the item will hang.

ghostrider 07-19-2014 02:15 PM

My work is almost entirely wall quilts at this point and I would strongly recommend using batting no matter what the size of the finished piece. Something on the firm side like Warm & Natural works well or W&N topped with wool for more detail in the quilting lines. 'Drape' is not a desired trait in this case.

Without batting, the quilting has little or no definition, the quilt itself is saggy, and the overall effect is 'blah', looking more like laundry tacked to the wall. Batting gives wall quilts 'presence' and invites the viewer in closer to look at the details.

ETA: Would I buy one without batting? No, that would be a deal breaker for me.