Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   batting question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-question-t15386.html)

diannemc 01-14-2009 04:23 AM

What is the bst batting? I know nothing about it..I like the old quilt look..Where is the best place to buy on line??
Also I am going to do some premiee quilts for the hospital...these don't need to be thick..is there a thin batting out there? Thanks

sewnsewer2 01-14-2009 05:31 AM

Polyester batting is thinner than warm & natural,100% cotton (also warm & white) and the poly is much less $ than the W & N. I prefer the W & N.

There is also a bamboo batting which I know nothing about, haven't tried it.

Mrs. Mel 01-14-2009 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
Polyester batting is thinner than warm & natural,100% cotton (also warm & white) and the poly is much less $ than the W & N. I prefer the W & N.

There is also a bamboo batting which I know nothing about, haven't tried it.

I have used the bamboo batting; it's GREAT! It's thin, you'd probably love it diannemc. Very soft and much much cheaper than W & N.

I was wondering about batting too. Does anybody know if Longarmers can quilt using a high loft batting? I hope that's ok to ask under your question dianne.

mimisharon 01-14-2009 08:09 AM

My friend that owns the only Quilt Shop I go to, has her own long arm person, Kirsta loves the high loft batting because it's light. Her long armer doesn't have a problem quilting it.

I've used the recycled batting, I didn't mind it at all. I wouldn't try to hand quilt with it and don't use it with any white in the quilt top or backing. It did run color through one of the diaper bags I made and I had to remake one. The manufacturer said it was my iron and the minerals in it, but I'd washed the fabric before I started quilting and I know the iron spit water but not in the place that the color ran. I was upset, because having to remake the top. But I will use it again for scrap quilting with dark backgrounds and dark backing, only because I want to do all I can to preserve our world.

For hand quilting I love Warm and Natural, it's smooth and easy on the needles and hands.

Hugs,
Sharon

shellyp 01-14-2009 08:36 AM

I've used the Bamboo batting in 2 quilts. To me it works up the same as the Warm and Natural. I can't tell a difference at all on the LA. The Bamboo batting is also anti-bacterial. I still use W&N for the rest of my quilts.

Jim's Gem 01-14-2009 08:49 AM

I use Warm & Natural. I usually buy it by the whole 40yd roll. This last time I bought it through JoAnns.com with a 50% off sale and an additional 10% off. I forgot exactly how much it was cause I am at work, but I think it was around $170 with tax and shipping, that's the 90" by 40 yd roll, in a box delivered to my front porth.

Barbm 01-14-2009 09:02 AM

Gayle- I did the same thing- should have seen the eyes raised when it came! I think they realize I am a serious quilter when it comes in by the bolt. :)

The savings are $5.60 a yard at LQS vs. $4.13 a yard by the bolt- which included tax & shipping. Sorry, lqs, but I spend so much there on fabric they can forgive me this one purchase.

Jim's Gem 01-14-2009 09:06 AM

The bolt I got last week is my 4th! Neighbors don't notice, but friends do. They all call me if they need batting in an emergency. I also tend to just give some of it to friends that I know can't really afford to go out and buy some right then. I have another friend that can't afford to buy fabrics or batting and I just keep giving her stuff to work with. I like being able to help out my friends when I can! They even sometimes come to my house looking for that perfect fabric they can't find elsewhere. Especially if they are in the middle of a project and they need something right away.

Barbm 01-14-2009 09:27 AM

hubby likes the box so he can put it under the cars to protect the concrete floor in the garage. so we are recycling too. can't wait to say I finished the first bolt. I calculate 10 quilts. Any idea how many you got from yours?

Jim's Gem 01-14-2009 09:35 AM

I think i got over 20 from one bolt. Most of my quilts are lap/twin size. I have done lots of queen but cause I hate piecing batting I buy packages of "King" batting to use on them. Thinking about it, this may be my 6th bolt of W&N cause the first two I bought at a JoAnne's shop and carried them home myself. this was the 4th delivered to me (deffinatelly the way to go) I save all the smaller pieces from the quilts and use them for place mats, coasters, rag quilts, packaging material, stuffing for dog toys etc.