Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-question-t240442.html)

patti p 02-05-2014 03:54 PM

Batting Question

I was wondering if i could get some opinions on Quilt Batting. i have used warm and natral, and Hobbs 20/80 and Quilters Dream select. and it seems like they are all fairly light weight. my Son has requested for a quilt for his camper, and he would like a nice heavy quilt what do you all use for a nice Warm quilt with some weight to it? I thought Wool might do the trick but have not used it as of yet.
Thanks

quilts4charity 02-05-2014 05:12 PM

I have used blankets for batting to make a really warm quilt.

nature lover 02-05-2014 05:14 PM

I used flannel for the backing and absolutely loved the feel and the warmth of it.

dakotamaid 02-05-2014 05:20 PM

Flannel quilt with 2 layers of warm and natural and don't make the quilting dense. If you quilt something dense you quilt out the air that helps with insulation. :)

dunster 02-05-2014 05:41 PM

Wool is warm, but lightweight.

Prism99 02-05-2014 07:29 PM

Hobbs wool would be great for the warmth aspect, but wouldn't necessarily be heavy. That's what I would recommend.

NikkiLu 02-05-2014 07:40 PM

I have never used fleece for a batting - but have experience with no electricity for 11 days in 2007. I slipped and fell on the ice on the second day and spent the next 9 days on my couch and tried every single kind of quilt, blanket, comforter, etc. that we had in the house and by far, the warmest was my double sided fleece blanket that a friend made for me. Also, my feather comforter was very warm, but doubt you could use one (or afford to use a feather comforter for your batting). I am not sure about quilting with fleece for the batting - maybe somebody else has done it. HTH

Lori S 02-05-2014 08:06 PM

Go for wool , it makes a wonderfully warm quilt. Or double batt , one layer warm and natural and one of poly... I have done that on several quilt.

DebbE 02-05-2014 08:54 PM

Wool is wonderful, especially if you're using it in cold and wet weather. I'd also do heavy flannel for the backing or even a nice fleece, if warmth is critical. Minimal quilting (just slightly over what the manufacturer calls for) so that you get the maximum insulation. I've also used old blankets -- my warmest is one that has an old Army wool blanket in the center (from WWII), and 2 layers of cotton, as it was recovered over the original cotton. Heavy, heavy, but WARM! I love that blanket, as I didn't do any piecing, just used decorator fabric to cover over the old fabric, and stitched to make sure it all held together.

AliKat 02-05-2014 10:04 PM

For heavier and warm quilts you can use denim or even that old fashioned polyester. Both will be plenty heavy and warm. If he doesn't want heavy the use older blankets for batting.