Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-question-t321355.html)

ElaineCovid 08-18-2023 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine (Post 8613360)
You can make denim quilts without batting. I know of a few patterns if you're interested.

This might be the best idea proposed so far. I would love to hear what patterns you'd suggest, thanks!

quiltedsunshine 08-18-2023 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The way I make my denim quilts, is by sewing the squares, rectangles, strips or octagons together. Then the seam allowances become the front of the quilt. You insert a (heavy) fabric under the seam allowances, then zig-zag the raw edges down. I'll send you a link by pm.

toogie 08-18-2023 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine (Post 8613438)
The way I make my denim quilts, is by sewing the squares, rectangles, strips or octagons together. Then the seam allowances become the front of the quilt. You insert a (heavy) fabric under the seam allowances, then zig-zag the raw edges down. I'll send you a link by pm.

I really do like your denim rectangles. I love the color of fabrics you used in it. I have made a few denim quilts myself. I wish I could see a close up of how you turned and sewed at the corners/intersections. Very pretty quilts.

quiltedsunshine 08-18-2023 08:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple more pictures of my denim quilts. They're constructed in small sections, so you don't have to work with the whole quilt at once.

quiltingcandy 08-18-2023 10:26 PM

I understand Cathedral Window quilts are heavy. It's on my to do list, but haven't made one yet. Since I live in the San Diego area of CA I don't want really warm quilts in the spring, summer, and fall. So I have started using wool batting. It breathes better than cotton and hangs like a cotton batting - maybe better. It's washable and very little shrinkage compared to cotton.

copycat 08-19-2023 01:23 AM

I love all your denim quilts

I am interested in your method as well. Each and every denim quilt you have shown is amazing.
Do you quilt as you go?

aashley333 08-19-2023 03:23 AM

The quilt that I backed with minky fabric was heavy. Just the bag that had the yardage was heavy. I did not use batting.

joe'smom 08-19-2023 08:41 AM

quiltedsunshine, your denim quilts are wonderful! That first one is really clever.

ElaineCovid 08-21-2023 04:08 PM

Love this idea!

sewingpup 08-23-2023 05:50 PM

I have noticed that my Bonnie Hunter quilts are heavier than most as there is so many seams and thread in them.